IISc BioEngineering Summer Training Program 2020
Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru has announced the official notification for IISc BioEngineering Summer Training Program 2020. Interested and eligible candidates may go through the details given below and apply accordingly:
BioEngineering Summer Training (BEST)
The aim of the programme is to introduce undergraduates to the rapidly and continuously evolving field of Bioengineering, with an opportunity to work alongside researchers involved in this field. The eight-week programme combines hands-on research training with a diverse set of didactic and research lectures.
BSSE acknowledges the generous donation of Dr. Anita and Animesh Mukherjee towards supporting the BEST programme and the BEST programme is also supported in part by Aniket Singh Internship programme.
- The programme is open to undergraduates in their second or third year (at the time of application) or students in the first year of a Master’s programme (at the time of application).
- Students from all disciplines with an interest in interdisciplinary bioengineering research are encouraged to apply.
- Research work will be carried out in your mentor/adviser’s laboratory. You are expected to do assigned research work and submit a final report at the end of the program, as well as make a final presentation. Amount of time to be spent in the laboratory will be decided by your mentor/adviser
- In addition to research work in the assigned laboratory, attending BEST lectures, demonstrations and other activities are compulsory.
- Attending a fun one-day retreat organized by BSSE is compulsory.
Reward: If you successfully complete the program and your research progress in the host laboratory is satisfactory, then you will receive a fellowship amount of Rs.15,000.00 at the end of the program (3 weeks after 24 July 2020). At the time of registration, you are advised to give an undertaking that you will spend full duration (2 months) of the intern’s program in IISc campus.
- The deadline for applications is 14th February 2020. Please apply online.
- The online form requires the applicant to provide the following information:
- Applicant details (including academic record)
- A short statement on why you are interested in the BEST programme
- A short statement on accomplishments
- A short statement on past research experience (if any)
- The applicants should select two projects from the list of projects. Projects for 2020 are available here.
- Following receipt of the applications, the selection will be made on the basis of academic record, aptitude for research, accomplishments and past research (if any). Diversity among selected students will be considered when all other criteria are judged similar.
- Selected fellows will be informed between 2nd March 2020.
- Following selection, the fellows will have till 13th March 2020 to send a demand draft (or arrange ECS transfer) of Rs. 1,000 to register for the BEST programme.
- If fellows decline participation following acceptance, waitlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If the BEST fellows complete the programme successfully (as judged by their faculty mentors and BEST organizers), then they will receive a consolidated fellowship towards the end of the programme.
- BEST fellows are expected to arrange their own accommodation, i.e. IISc campus accommodation will NOT be provided. Additionally, no allowances are provided for food and daily expenses.
Bank details for the payment of registration fee:
Bank: Canara Bank, IISc Branch
A/c Name: BSSE
A/c no.: 0683101031202
IFSC code: CNRB0000683
Important Dates for IISc BioEngineering Summer Training:
- Online applications open – 22nd Jan 2020
- Application deadline (close) – 14th Feb 2020 midnight
- Decision on selected candidates – 2nd March 2020
- Selected candidates registration fee payment deadline – 13th March 2020
- The program begin date – 25th May 2020
- Programme end date – 24th July 2020