Biological Sciences PhD Admission 2020
IISER Kolkata invites applications from motivated students for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program for the Autumn 2020. The selected candidates can do a PhD in Biological Sciences. Biological Sciences PhD Admission 2020. Apply Now!
Eligibility: M.Sc/ MS /ME/ M.Tech/ MVSc/ MSc(Ag) degree or equivalent (with minimum 55% marks) in:
- Any branch of biological sciences to pursue research in the broad fields of Cellular and Molecular biology, Cancer biology, Developmental biology, Structural biology, Chemical biology, Plant biology, Plant molecular and developmental biology, Plant genetics, Plant tissue culture, Behavioral biology and Ecology, Genetics, Marine biology, Neurobiology, Biodiversity, Microbiology, Biophysics, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Food Technology, Physiology, Human Physiology, Medical Biotechnology and theoretical biology, Epigenetics and Chromatin Biology. Candidates from agricultural science (such as genetics and plant breeding) and nutritional science backgrounds are also encouraged to apply.
- Chemistry / physics / statistics / mathematics / computer application / computer science
Research Areas Available:
|Interdisciplinary Research Area||Preferred background of the student from other areas|
|Gene regulatory networks using plant signalling and genomics||Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Statistics, Computer Application, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Analytical Chemistry|
|Structural biology, cryo-Electron Microscopy, Image processing, biophysics, molecular modelling, molecular dynamics simulations, biomolecular NMR, Structural Proteomics and imaging to portrait cancerous tissue, Clinical proteomics, Microbiome & Cancer||Biophysics/Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Physics/Chemistry/ Computer Science|
|Peptide-based therapeutics, cancer nanomedicine, drug delivery, biomimetic chemistry, chemical biology, supramolecular chemistry, applied biomaterials, cancer biology, and regenerative nanomedicine||(i) MSc Chemistry having specialization in organic chemistry or MSc Chemistry with MSc project in the area of organic chemistry|
(ii) MSc Chemistry having specialization in Physical Chemistry or MSc Chemistry with MSc project in the area of computational chemistry and interested to work in the area of computational biology
|Neurobiology||Neuro-immunology, Neural stem cell neology, Neuro-Virology, Neuropathology, Neuro-Computational Modelling, Neuro-Structural Biology, Neuro-oncology|
|Mechano-biology employing fluorescence imaging, interference reflection microscopy, PDMS based cell stretching, micropatterning, optical trapping, traction force microscopy, image/data Analysis||Physics/Biophysics/Chemistry/Biochemistry/Chemical Engineering/Mechanical Engineering/Computer Science|
|Computational Biology||A Master’s degree, with minimum 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale, in any field of Applied Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Statistics|
|Epigenetics, chromatin biology, unnatural amino acid biology, proteomics, homology modelling, molecular docking, molecular dynamics simulations||Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Biophysical chemistry|
|Theoretical and Computational Biophysics (Modeling of cell motion, biological random processes, intracellular transport etc.)||Master’s degree in physics/applied mathematics/applied statistics/computer science/Biotechnology/any engineering field with 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.00/10. Experience of programming in C/C++/FORTRAN/Matlab will be a plus point.|
Desired Qualification: Candidates funded through a valid fellowship like UGC/CSIR-NET JRF, DBT-JRF, ICMR-JRF, BINC, INSPIRE
In addition, multiple institute and project funded fellowships are available: See below for details
Institute-funded PhD student(s)
1. One institute funded PhD fellowship is available for students interested to work in the field of Structural and clinical proteomics of proteins, important in human diseases and mass spectrometry-based imaging of clinically important molecules in human tissue
Qualification: MS/ M.Sc/ M.Tech in Life Sciences/ Biochemistry/ Biotechnology/ Physiology with a minimum of 60% marks. Candidate must have qualified NET-LS/JGEEBILS/GATE.
Desirable: A keen interest in mass spectrometry and structural biology; working experience in protein chemistry
2. One institute funded PhD fellowship is available for students who are interested in theoretical and computational biophysics. The topics of research will involve studies of biomolecular interactions, transitions and thermodynamics. Cutting edge molecular simulations will be performed in sync with in-house analysis approaches. Qualifications: MS/MSc/M.Tech degree in Physics or Computer Science, with 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.00/10. The candidates must have qualified one of these exams: GATE/CSIR-UGC NET LS/JEST/JAM.
Desirable: Direct hands-on research experience in biomolecular simulations. Hands-on experience in one of these languages: Python/TCL/Fortran.
- PhD application portal opens: 03.02.2020
- Application portal closes: 24.02.2020
- Publication of shortlisting for interview: 28.02.2020
- Tentative Interview dates: 09 to 21 March 2020
- Publication of PhD interview results: 31.03.2020
- Preregistration portal opens: 01.04.2020
- Preregistration deadline: 31.05.2020
- PhD Registration: 29.07.2020