CCMB Summer Training Program 2020
The training program is open to students from all branches of sciences and open to all Indian Universities/Research Institutes.
- M.Sc. Program: Students admitted in year 2019 and will complete their 1st year in June/July 2020
- 4 Year B.Tech. Program: Students admitted in year 2017 and will complete their 6th Semester in June/July 2020.
- 5 year Integrated B.Tech.-M.Tech. or MBBS or BVSc course: Students admitted in year 2016 and will complete their 8th Semester in June/July 2020; MBBS students in any year of their study can apply.
M. Tech. students are not eligible.
Computer science students with flair for biology may also apply
It is not a conventional classroom lectures based training program. Instead, each selected candidate/trainee will be assigned to a CCMB staff scientist who will supervise/mentor him/her during the stay. Each student is expected to execute a small project work under the guidance of the scientist. At the end of the program, student will need to submit a ‘Project Report’ of the work done, and also would be required to make an oral presentation.
The program is mainly intended to give students a real-time exposure/hands-on experience to a research environment, in the hope that it would inculcate in them a zeal for research as a future career.
Although, efforts are made to take into consideration the ‘statement of purpose’/research interest of the selected students (while assigning to different Scientists), but it is generally not possible in many cases; as the allotments are mainly based on the availability of working place(s) in different labs and not the other way around. Therefore, only those students should apply for the training program who are ready to work in any laboratory of CCMB, if selected, irrespective of his/her stated research interest.
Application for the Summer Program 2020 can be downloaded (Zipped pdf file). Completed application (Hard copy) for the program MUST reach CCMB by 25/01/2020. The names of the Selected candidates will be made available on CCMB homepage during the middle of February 2020; here, it may be noted that no separate intimation would be sent to any candidate, and thus all applicants must look for his/her name in the ‘selection list’ on the CCMB homepage only.
A committee nominated by the Director, CCMB, selects the trainees. One of the major criteria used in selection is that the selected candidates should represent the Nation-wide coverage of different Indian states (based on the location of their academic institutions, but independent of their birthplace, sex, cast or religion). ‘Statement of purpose’ and the ‘Recommendation/reference Letter’ are other important considerations in the selection of candidates along with the academic record. A few seats (~5%) are reserved, each for the children of serving CCMB employees, and for candidates selected by the AcSIR.
The number of trainees’ intake varies between 50 – 60 candidates, and mainly depends upon the availability of bench space with different staff scientists of CCMB. On an average, we receive ~800 applications.
CCMB will not provide any financial support for boarding/ lodging. All the selected candidates are required to self-finance their stay in CCMB/Hyderabad. The candidates are expected to make their own arrangement for stay in Hyderabad during the training period, though CCMB may consider specific requests only from outstation students, especially girl students for shared accommodation in CCMB housing facility depending upon the availability of vacant flats/space.
Important points to note
- As is evident from our experience in earlier years, the competition is very high for the few available seats with an average chance of selection being less than 10%.
- Applications for Summer Program 2020 MUST be submitted as a hard copy. The application incomplete in any respect will be rejected/not considered.
- Requests/applications for the program sent prior to this notification will not be considered. Any such candidate must apply again using the prescribed application form.
- There is no FEE for the training program as well as accommodation during the 60-day stay at CCMB.
- The decision of the Selection committee about the selection of candidates shall be final.
- Canvassing in any form and/or bringing in any influence, political or otherwise, will be treated as a disqualification.
- Selected candidates are expected to have cleared their final exams (1st year in case of M.Sc. students, 6th semester in case of B.Tech. students and 8th semester in case of 5 year Integrated B.Tech- M.Tech. students) before joining the program and thus are required to bring the documentary proof for the same. On the other hand, for students, whose results may be awaited at that time, students would need to provide a certificate from their college certifying that – the student has appeared for the final exams, and that the results are yet to be declared.
- All candidates selected for the program will need to spend a minimum period of 60 days in CCMB without any break.
- This is one of the most important requirements and accordingly, all candidates need to furnish a certificate from their Head of the Department/Competent authority of the college/institute to this effect (see the Application form for instructions).
The program is for duration of 60 days (~eight weeks) in the months of May-July 2020.
- Last date for receipt of Application in CCMB: 25 January 2020
List of the selected candidates on CCMB homepage Middle of February 2020
(There will NOT be any separate letter of intimation to the selected candidates)
Last date for selected candidates to inform their:
- Acceptance to CCMB/Program Coordinator 29 February 2020
- The tentative date to join CCMB/the program 20th May – 3rd Jun 2020
(No candidate will be allowed to join after 3rd June under any circumstance)
Mailing address for application:
Summer Program 2020
Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology (CCMB)
Please mention on top of the envelope “Application for Summer Training 2020”
Note: The selected students are requested to give their confirmation for attending the programme by sending mail to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by February 29, 2020.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.