SACON Careers 2019
Life Sciences Junior Project Consultant post vacant at SACON. The Sálim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON) i is hiring life sciences candidates for the Junior Project Consultant role. SACON Careers 2019. Interested and eligible candidates may check out the details given below:
Sálim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History
Anaikatty, Coimbatore – 641108, Tamil Nadu
Advertisement No. SACON/RES/SELECTION, 05/2019
Project Title: Developing a conservation action plan for Forest Owlet (Heteroglaux blewitti), a Critically Endangered species endemic to central India.
Name of the Position: Junior Project Consultant.
No. of Positions: 01 No.
Age: Shall not exceed 40 years as on the date of the interview (28/11/2019).
Duration: Four months. Emoluments: Rs. 45,000/- (consolidated) per month.
Essential Qualification: Applicants should have an MSc. Degree in Life Sciences or Computational fields (with a strong interest in biology) with a sound knowledge of population genetics, with experience in the analysis of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) data/ computational biology.
Desirable Qualification: Research experience in the fields of ecology, evolution or population genomics. Proven experience in handling large datasets, ability to work in a Linux command line environment, write simple scripts in R and Bash.
Project Description: The current project aims to update the information on Forest Owlet distribution, its habitat requirements and population connectivity through habitat models, ground surveys and DNA analysis and prepare a comprehensive Forest Owlet Conservation Action Plan. The project has three major components: a) field sampling across its predicted distribution range in the States of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Odisha, Chattisgarh and Jharkhand, using an occupancy framework for determining variables that govern Forest Owlet distribution, b) spatial analysis to test and refine existing distribution models and c) molecular analysis to resolve its phylogeny and estimate population genetic connectivity with insights into its evolutionary history.
Tasks Description: Organize NGS data, Quality check NGS data, run various NGS whole-genome pipelines, document all processes, coordinate with field and lab teams for knowledge sharing.
The tenure of the Junior Project Consultant will be for a period of four months (December 2019 to March 2020) from the date of joining.
The headquarters of the Junior Project Consultant will be at IISER, Tirupati.
How to Apply: Duly filled in application along with self-attested true copies of testimonials of educational qualifications, research experience, date of birth, extra-curricular activities, etc., should be submitted at the interview venue. All original documents in support of educational qualifications, age, extra-curricular activities, etc., should be produced at the time of interview for verification.
General Terms & Conditions
- Candidates applying for the above position should possess the Essential Qualification as per the details given.
- The upper age limit may be relaxed up to 5 years in the case of candidates belonging to SC/ST and 3 years for OBC/Women and Physically Challenged category as per Central Government norms.
- The selected candidate will be engaged for a period mentioned against the advertised position.
- The selection of the candidate(s) will be based on the walk-in-interview to be held at SACON, Moongilpallam, Anaikatty, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu on 28.11.2019. Candidates should report to the venue at 09.30 a.m. on the day of the interview for registration.
- Canvassing in any form is liable to rejection of the candidature.
- The Centre will not provide accommodation for candidates appearing for the interview.
- The application form can be downloaded from the link www.sacon.in.
- The Director, SACON reserves the right to reject any candidature in view of incomplete information provided by the candidate or for any other reason.