President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship
The University of South Florida has released the official notification for the President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship for the year 2020. Interested candidates can check out all the detailed information given below on APJ Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship 2020:
To honor President A.P.J. Kalam, this Postgraduate Fellowship is announced. President Kalam has been a strong advocate of youth and a vocal supporter of clean energy and energy independence. He visited South Florida University (USF) in 2012 and is affectionately remembered in Tampa Bay, Florida by USF and the vibrant Indian heritage community.
- Candidates must have submitted an application for the Ph.D. program in any of the subjects listed below to USF (https://www.usf.edu/admissions/) and secured a USF ID.
- Candidates must meet all eligibility requirements for the program of their choice.
- Candidates must have graduated from or are about to graduate from an Indian University.
Eligible stem programs / Fields of study
- Applied Anthropology
- Applied Physics
- Business Ph.D. programs
- Cell Biology, Microbiology & Molecular Biology
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Integrative Biology
- Marine Science
Selection of awardees
USF World, which is solely responsible for awarding the fellowship, will make a review panel to pick the winning Ph.D. proposal from among those applicants who have been accepted by their department. The panel would be looking for a candidate with excellent academic qualifications and experience in the selected discipline, as well as a finely-crafted research proposal. USF World is entitled to make the Kalam Fellow’s final decision on the suggestions of the review panel.
The University of South Florida will:
- Waive all tuition for up to four years in total.
- Contribute a stipend of $22,000 that is payable in three installments of $8000 each in the fall and spring semesters and $6000 in the summer semester. In addition to waiving tuition fees, this award covers health insurance and other fees.
- The stipends will be payable by USF once the winner of the President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Postgraduate Fellowship at the University of South Florida is enrolled at the university for his/her first term.
All other costs (e.g., airfare, housing at USF, etc.) will be met by the awardee.
How to apply
Before submitting the Kalam Fellowship form, all applicants must submit a USF graduate application and generate a university ID number on the USF graduate admission portal. Upon admission to USF, the award recipient will adhere to all USF guidelines, processes and procedures and all applicable law. Applicants must scan and email the following materials to KalamFellowship@usf.edu in one composite PDF to submit the A.P.J. Kalam application. (please do not send .jpeg files):
- Postgraduate Fellowship Form (Download here)
- A brief letter outlining your interest in the Fellowship and your proposed area of study.
- Curriculum Vitae including your current occupation, your academic and professional experience/achievement and evidence of scholarly activity
- Statement on intended research for your Ph.D. degree under the Kalam Fellowship
- Two Letters of Recommendation on academic and/or professional letterhead
- Some programs may require a GRE score; please check with individual departments’ requirements
Applicants are highly encouraged to apply as early as possible to their academic program. Dates of entry vary depending on the course; be sure to check online for your prospective course.
October 15 – Announcement of Fellowship opportunity sent to the Indian community
December 1 – February 3 – (Please check individual graduate programs for due date of application) Applicant must first apply for a graduate program through the USF Graduate Admissions Office, receive a university ID, and then apply for the Kalam no later than February 3rd
February 3 – Kalam Applications due to USF
May 1 – Public announcement of winner and timeline for next year
Successful Applications include:
- Only applications for a Ph.D. This award is NOT a combination of a Master’s degree/Ph.D. You must have already completed your Master’s degree prior to applying for the Kalam Award.
- The selection of the USF department and program should match your research, education, and background – along with your letters of recommendation.
- No plagiarism or copied information unless cited – including your own research. The committee will search for information that has been copied or plagiarized.
- Letter of Intent needs to directly correlate and be in relation to the application for the Kalam award – Be very specific in your introductory letter, statement of intent, basic research, and program focus.
- Please include as much information in your letter as possible to build your case as to why you should be selected for the Kalam Award and how your research would parallel the vision of President A.PJ. Abdul Kalam.
The deadline to apply for the A.P.J. Kalam Fellowship is February 3, 2020.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.