NISER Bhubaneswar Biological Sciences Ph.D. Admission 2020
Advt. No. NISER/ACAD/Ph.D/2019-20(2)
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar invites applications from Indian citizens for admission to the Ph.D. program scheduled to commence from 2nd January 2020 in the School of Biological Sciences (SBS). NISER Bhubaneswar PhD Admission 2020.
School of Biological Sciences (SBS)
Minimum Educational Qualifications: 60% or equivalent GPA in Masters or M.Tech in any branches of Biology, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics, and Biotechnology. Students with a Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics having an interest in pursuing a career in Biology are also encouraged to apply.
The requirement of Qualifying in National Level Examinations: Candidates should have qualified at least one of the national level written examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET/ GATE/ GPAT/ DBT/ ICMR/ JEST/ JGEEBILS/ ICSSR or any other national level written examinations valid for the academic year 2019-2020.
As per HBNI Ordinance, student having DST INSPIRE Doctoral Fellowship ONLY, without qualifying any such national level written examination will not be considered for admission to the Ph.D. program in NISER.
- The cut-off marks for national level examinations such as GATE/JEST/CSIR-UGC-NET will be decided separately by each School for the relevant subject area.
- Those who have appeared for the CSIR-UGC-NET examination held on June 2019 and awaiting results may also apply. However, such candidates, if shortlisted have to produce the qualifying mark statement of CSIR-UGC-NET examination on the date of Ph.D. written test/interview, failing which his/her candidature will be rejected automatically.
- Candidates with GPA in qualifying degree may need to produce the conversion note (in case it is not mentioned in their mark sheet) from their institution towards the calculation of percentage.
- The institute fellowship given by NISER is Rs. 31,000/- per month for the first two years, which will subsequently be enhanced to Rs. 35,000/- per month for the remaining three years, subject to the fulfillment of all the requirements of the Institute that will be stipulated from time to time.
- Students with an external fellowship from agencies viz. CSIR, UGC, etc. will be eligible to draw fellowship as per the extant rules of the respective funding agencies.
Research Areas Biological Sciences
- Study of membrane biogenesis: Mechanism and regulation of nuclear remodeling and role of dynamins and microtubules.
- Molecular Microbiology: Functional significance of membrane proteins and mechanisms underlying bacterial persistence.
- Rational drug discovery, molecular and cellular target validation, Structural bioinformatics and computational biology.
- Neuroendorcrine regulation, Neural circuitry of energy balance and reproduction.
- Structure-function studies on terminase complex proteins of herpesviruses.
- Cellular Regulation of morphogenesis and the degradation of complex cell shapes.
- Evolutionary origins, biogeography and systematics of biota within the Indian
- Phylogeography and species diversification patterns.
- Mechanism of membrane remodeling during host-pathogen interactions.
For more information please visit: https://www.niser.ac.in/sbs/page/faculty-and-area-research
Selection Procedure for NISER Bhubaneswar PhD Admission 2020
The selection committee of the respective schools will short-list the candidates among those who meet the minimum educational qualifications and satisfy additional criteria which each school may set as deemed necessary.
- The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, supplemented by a written test, if necessary, for the admission.
- Based on the academic record, performance of the candidates in the selection process and availability of fellowship from the institute and/or external funding agencies, the selection committee of the school will recommend candidates to the Chairman, Academic Council for admission to the Ph.D. program.
- All candidates called for the test/interview will be paid to and fro single, second-sleeper class railway fare by the shortest route from their place of residence to the Institute. They have to produce evidence (like railway ticket etc.) in support of their claim.
How to Apply
- The application form has to be filled up online at http://www.niser.ac.in and candidates should follow stepwise instructions mentioned to complete the application submission At the time of application, along with this online form, the candidate should upload soft copy of the supporting documents as per the eligibility criteria.
- Candidates intending to apply for more than one school should fill up online application forms for each school and submit separate forms with appropriate supporting documents.
- Two sealed letters of reference in the prescribed format with the signature of the referees on the envelope should be produced by the student at the time of the interview. The format of the reference letter is available here.
- NISER does not demand any application fee from the candidates who apply for the Ph.D program.
- The online application will be activated on 01.10.2019 (Tuesday)
- Last date for filling up online application: 31.10.2019 (Thursday)
- List of short-listed candidates will be uploaded on NISER website latest by 15.11.2019 (Friday)
Tentative dates for test/interview for NISER Bhubaneswar PhD Admission 2020 are given here under:
School of Biological Sciences: 10th, 11th & 12th December 2019
• Kindly visit the NISER website from time to time for the announcement of the final selected candidates. Each school will send the call letters to the selected candidates.
- The semester registration is scheduled to be held on 2nd January 2020 (Thursday).
- If you have any further query, kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org for Biological Sciences
- Applicants are encouraged to visit the school web page for more information on research activities.
Address for communication and more details
Faculty-In Charge (Academic Affairs),
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER),
P.0.-Jatni, Dist-Khurda, Odisha-752050
Phone: 0674-2494013, Fax-0674-2494004
Checklist for application submission
During online submission, you will need to have the following ready with you for uploading;
- Your passport size photograph as a JPEG file.
- Your signature as a JPEG file.
- Birth Certificate/10th pass certificate in support of date of birth as a PDF file.
- Certificate in support of category (SC/ST), only if applicable
- Certificate and mark sheets in support of passing qualifying examination i.e Master’s degree. In case the original pass certificate is not issued by University then a certificate from the University on its letterhead with the seal of the concerned authority certifying the completion of degree should be submitted.
- Certificate/document in support of qualifying national level written examination(s) viz. CSIR-UGC-NET/GATE/GPAT/DBT/ICMR/JEST or any other as applicable.
- Candidates who have appeared CSIR-UGC-NET exam held in June 2019, and awaiting the result are required to upload the CSIR-UGC-NET admit card at the time of submission of online application.