IISER Bhopal PhD Programme in Biological Sciences For January 2020
IISER Bhopal is inviting applications for admission into its PhD Programme in Biological Sciences for January 2020. IISER Bhopal PhD Admission 2020 Notification. Interested candidates can check out the details on eligibility, selection procedure, age limit, reservation and application procedure and such below:
Department of Biological Sciences offers research in the areas of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Cancer Biology, Epigenetics, Chemical Biology, Virology, Behavioral Biology, Plant Cell and Developmental Biology, Metagenomics, Systems Biology, Ecology, Evolution and Molecular Systematics.
M.Sc./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in the relevant discipline with a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA/CPI of 7.0 on a 10 point scale (overall percentage/CGPA/CPI; not just in the majoring subject). Students with M.Sc./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in a branch of Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics can also apply provided they have an aptitude for research in Biological Sciences.
If the transcript/grade sheet issued by the Institute/University reports:
- Only marks: percentage will be considered
- Only grades: CGPA/CPI will be considered. If CGPA/CPI is reported on any scale other than 10 (eg. 4 point/ 8 point scale), an equivalent CGPA/CPI will be calculated as per the following formula: CGPA/CPI in a 10 point scale = (CGPA/CPI Obtained×10)/PS PS = Point scale used by the Institute/University .
- Both marks and CGPA/CPI: Percentage equivalent of CGPA/CPI, as indicated on the transcript/grade sheet, will be considered. The conversion factor must be available in the transcript/grade sheet.
Remarkably brilliant B.Tech./MBBS / MCA applicants are also eligible for the Biological Sciences PhD program.
Additionally, a National level examination such as GATE / CSIR-UGC-JRF / DBT-JRF (category I only) / ICMR-JRF (category A only) / CSIR-UGC-LS / Provisional letter of INSPIRE-JRF for PhD / Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship or any other recognized score is mandatory. The certificate/fellowship MUST be valid at the time of admission. Please note that the National level examination criteria is NOT mandatory for the students who have completed their BS-MS degree with CPI 8.0 and above from any of the IISER (Berhampur, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram, Tirupati).
A 5 percent mark relaxation will be permitted for applicants in the SC / ST / PD categories. The mere fulfillment of the criterion of eligibility does not allow an applicant to be called for an interview.
- To submit the Online Ph.D. Application for Biological Sciences please Click here.
- Please retain a print out of the PDF of the online application form submitted by you.
- The following documents must be brought on the day of the interview, if shortlisted and called for interview.
a. Signed hard-copy of PDF of the online application form with recent color photograph affixed on it.
b. Self-attested relevant certificates (listed in the PDF copy of online application form).
- After the last date, all applications will be screened and candidates selected for interviews will be intimated by email only.
- To download the format of Recommendation Letter, (if applicable) please Click here.
- All correspondence with applicants will only be by e-mail. No phone calls will be entertained.
- Please visit the IISER Bhopal website for regular updates.
- In the event of any queries linked to the application, the subject line must include your application number.
- applicants who are appearing or are about to appear for final examinations of the qualifying degree program are allowed to apply for the Ph.D. program. However, If selected, admission to the PhD program would be conditional and will depend on completion of the qualifying degree with the required marks criteria, at the time of joining.
- Selection will be depending on shortlisted candidate’s interviews that will only be performed in the campus of the Institute.
- Relaxation of SC / ST and PD applicant’s eligibility requirements will be as per the standards of the Government of India. If chosen, applicants from the reserved category will be required to submit appropriate certificates.
- Applying and meeting the minimum eligibility requirements does not automatically ensure the shortlisting of a candidate for interview. In order to shortlist applicants for interviews depending on the number of applications submitted, the Department of Biological Sciences will use extra requirements (based on academic performance and/or achievement in the national level exams).
- Applicants should carry at least one letter of recommendation in a sealed envelope with them at the moment of the interview. Alternatively, the letter of recommendation can be sent straight by the referee(s) to email@example.com before the interview date.
The selection process for admission to the PhD program will be focused on the applicant’s results in the two rounds (Rounds I and II) of interviews. The selected candidates from Round I will be able to speak with faculty members in the department after which Round II of the final selection interviews will be performed. During the interviews, the applicant will be assessed in the field of biological sciences for their conceptual understanding and research aptitude.
The last date for submission of online application is October 20, 2019 (Sunday).
Department of Biological Sciences
Dr. Chandan Sahi
Head, Department of Biological Sciences
Dr. Vimlesh Kumar
Convener, Ph.D. Admissions Committee
Convener, Departmental Post-Graduate Committee
Queries will be entertained on the above-mentioned e-mail only. No phone calls will be entertained.