The University of Copenhagen funded PhD scholarships
The University of Copenhagen has announced four fully-funded PhD scholarships in the Biological Sciences.
The Department of Biology is one of Copenhagen University’s biggest departments. The successful applicants will become the part of a vibrant community of 150 doctoral students studying at the Biology Department and engage in the many interesting events and activities organized by the network of Doctoral students and the Department, including the annual Ph.D. day, the biannual BIO conference, weekly research seminars, and career fairs.
Each successful applicant will choose a supervisor at one of the 10 sections at the Department of Biology:
- Biomolecular Sciences
- Cell and Neurobiology
- Cell Biology and Physiology
- Computational and RNA Biology
- Ecology and Evolution
- Freshwater Biology
- Functional Genomics
- Marine Biology
- Terrestrial Ecology
The scholarships are offered for a 3-year period and your Key duties as a Ph.D. student at SCIENCE are:
- Defining, managing and implementing your research project
- Participate in PhD courses of 30 ECTS
- Write research papers and thesis for your PhD
- Teach your research and disseminate it
- Stay for a few months in an external research institution, preferably overseas
Applicants should have MSc with an outstanding result in biology, molecular biomedicine, biochemistry, bioinformatics or a strongly associated field. Assessment of your qualifications also counts your previous publications (if any) and relevant work experience.
The University of Copenhagen is looking for extremely motivated and ambitious people with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Fluency required in spoken and written English.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Academic Staff’s Memorandum on Job Structure.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently at a minimum DKK 325.625 (approx. €43,400) including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 44,980). Salary supplement can be negotiated.
The application should be in English and be submitted electronically.
The application should include
- A cover letter (1-2 pages) showing your background, personal characteristics, research objectives and thoughts for a Ph.D. research project, as well as your motivation to apply for a Ph.D. and a research career.
- Curriculum vitae
- Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
- Recommendation letter from the past university supervisor
- Additional information such as a list of publications (if any), relevant experience, foreign experience, etc.
- Complete contact information of 1-3 professional referees (name, address, telephone & email).
The deadline for applications is 1 September 2019, 23:59 GMT +2
After the last date of application, the approved recruitment manager will choose candidates for evaluation on the recommendation of the interview committee. An evaluation committee will then be assigned to assess the applications chosen. The candidates will be notified of the committee’s outcome. Selected applicants will get a chance to present their research experience, thoughts for a research project for a Ph.D. and motivation for a scientific career.
The primary selection factor will be the applicant’s research potential and the above-mentioned skills. The successful applicant will then be asked to apply officially to the Ph.D. School of Science for enrolment and to select a supervisor from the Department of Biology. The candidate along with the supervisor will prepare a comprehensive study plan for the Ph.D. project.
For specific information about the Ph.D. scholarships, please contact the Deputy Head of Department for Research [Professor, Michael Lisby, Department of Biology, firstname.lastname@example.org, Direct Phone: 35322120].
General information about Ph.D. programmes at SCIENCE is available at http://www.science.ku.dk/phd.
- Application deadline: 01-09-2019
- Employment start: 01-11-2019
- Department/Location: Department of Biology