Biotechnology Ignition Grant | Grant-in-Aid upto 50 Lakhs
Birac Announces 15th Call For Proposals Under The Biotechnology Ignition Grant Big Scheme
The Biotechnology Ignition Grant (BIG) is the flagship program of Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) that offers the right admixture of fuel and support for young startups and business people.
BIG is India’s biggest early-stage biotech funding program. Funding aid of up to INR 5 million (USD 70,000 approx) to create and refine best in class innovative ideas to create and refine the idea to proof-of-concept.
This scheme allows innovators and entrepreneurs in technology to pursue a successful technology idea and to create and validate proof of concept (POC) for the idea.
Purpose of the BIG scheme
- Supporting projects aimed at establishing or validating conceptual evidence for a promising and innovative technological idea.
- To promote the development of new start-ups based on innovative technology concepts and/or to assist early start-ups to develop and validate their technology ideas up to the POC stage.
Supported types of projects
- Projects that propose a process/ product innovation with significant potential impact or commercial potential.
- Projects with clear technology objectives.
- Projects focused on establishing or validating proof-of-concept for a technology idea.
- Projects aimed at technology de-risking i.e., reducing uncertainties in the technology.
- Projects concentrated on producing and supplying the scientific data necessary to show a concept.
Topics and themes
Technology ideas relating to medical/ health biotechnology, biopharma and medical devices/ biomaterials/ diagnostics, agrobiotechnology and animal/ marine biotechnology, industrial/ environmental biotechnology and biomass value addition via biotechnology, biotechnology-based services/ reagents/ supplies, bioinformatics and bio-IT interface, etc.
Duration of the project
Funding is given in installments against agreed milestones for a maximum period of 18 months. The proposed length of the project may vary from 15 to 18 months. No request for extension shall be entertained under any circumstance.
- As the first step, BIG Partners screen the applications for eligibility and appropriateness under Biotechnology Ignition Grant scheme.
- Eligible proposals are assigned by the partner to 2-3 subject experts for online review.
- Based on the reviews by experts, BIG partners shortlists applicants and shortlisted ones are called for a detailed presentation to Technical Expert Panel (TEP) at BIG partner’s location.
- TEP then further shortlists and recommends applications for the final presentation in front of Expert Selection Committee (ESC), held at BIRAC, New Delhi.
- ESC at BIRAC takes the final decision and selects proposals for further due diligence and funding under BIG.
- ESC recommended applicants are then subjected to financial and technical due diligence by the BIG Partner. This typically involves a visit by the partner to the applicant’s site.
- Due diligence reports provided by the partner are then examined by BIRAC, subsequent to which proposal is finally approved for funding support under BIG.
- Click here to view guidelines (BIG Scheme)
- Click here to view Process of Flow (BIG Scheme)
- Proformas for online submission of proposals (in case of company) (BIG Scheme)
- Proformas for online submission of proposals (in case of individual) (BIG Scheme)
- Registration guidelines for BIG Scheme(Company/Individual)
Apply before: 16th August (5:30 PM)
For additional information please contact Ms. Taranjeet Kaur at email@example.com
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.