Har Gobind Khorana-Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) 2019
The Har-Gobind Khorana ‘Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award’ (IYBA), instituted by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India is an attractive Research Award to identify and nurture outstanding young scientists with innovative ideas and desirous of pursuing research in frontier areas of Biotechnology.
Young scientists up to the age of 35 years with relaxation of 5 years for SC/ST/OBC, Women and Physically Handicapped Category are considered for this award. Scientists without regular employment are also eligible for this award. The award consists of Research Grant for a proposed innovative project and a fellowship of Rs. 75,000/- per month for 3 years awardees who are not in regular employment.
Association of a mentor (senior faculty/scientist in a University, Research Institute, Medical/Agriculture/ Veterinary College or any other research institute of repute) is mandatory for those applicants who are not in regular positions. The mentor should agree to provide laboratory space and other needed facilities.
The application must be forwarded by the head of the institute or duly designated competent authority. It is expected that the awardees will work independently and that the mentor will facilitate the awardee’s research efforts. Awardees having regular (permanent) employment will receive a cash award of Rs.1,00,000/- (Rupees One Lakh Only) every year for a period of three years in addition to a Research Grant.
- The applicant should be an Indian Citizen.
- The applicant must have a Ph.D. in any branch of Life Sciences, Computational Sciences (applied to Biotechnology, Medicine or Biological Sciences), Veterinary Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Agricultural Sciences. Master degree holders in Medicine or Dentistry (MD/MS/MDS or IMC designated equivalent) and Engineering/Technology (M.Tech or AICTE designated equivalent) are also eligible to apply.
- Age limit: Not more than 35 years of age on the last date of submission of application i.e., 15th July 2019. Fresh Ph.D.’s are strongly encouraged to apply if they meet the mandatory requirements. Age relaxation of 5 years is made for Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC, Women and Physically Handicapped Category.
- The applicant should have an excellent academic career and a track record of high impact peer-reviewed publications or invented technologies as evident by granted Indian and/or International patents.
- Cumulative publication of 4 as first or corresponding author or one granted Indian patent or one granted International patent.
- The proposed project has to be carried out in any recognized research institution/university in India having adequate facilities to carry out for its implementation. A consent letter duly signed by the proposed mentor stating that all laboratory facilities will be provided for implementation of the proposed project must be provided for those who are not in permanent services. The application has to be forwarded by the head or duly designated competent authority of the host Institution or University.
Nature of Young Biotechnologist Award
The award shall cover both non-recurring and recurring financial grants for executing the innovative research plan proposed by the awardee. This includes equipment/ software, consumables, contingencies and travel grant as required for the research project. In addition a fellowship of Rs. 75,000/- per month will be admissible for awardees that do not have regular employment or are not drawing any other fellowship.
If during the course of the project, the awardee finds regular employment or receives any other fellowship, the awardee should immediately inform the fact to the DBT and the monthly payment of fellowship from the subsequent month onward will be discontinued. In this situation, the awardees will receive Rs. 1.00 lakh cash award per annum similar to the awardees those are in regular employment.
Awardees having regular employment will receive a cash award of Rs. 1.00 lakh every year during the course of the project in addition to the equipment and other recurring grants except the fellowship amount.
The duration of the project will be for a period of three years subject to satisfactory progress.
- A letter from the Mentor, giving consent to provide laboratory space where the applicant desires to work, should be enclosed with the application for those who are not in permanent employment. The laboratory should be able to support major needs of the project.
- The project will be operated by the awardee. However, capital equipment will be procured in the name of the institute where the awardee proposes to work.
- The financial transactions of the award have to be handled by the host institute, which will be responsible for submitting the Utilization certificate and Statement of Expenditure every financial year.
- IYBA awardee should not undertake foreign deputations for more than three months during the entire course of the project period.
- The awardee will be the corresponding author for any publication emanating as a result of the research carried out on account of the award. The mentor and others could be coauthors. This arrangement will serve the purpose of the award, namely nurturing excellence of young investigators, making them independent, eligible for faculty positions and excel as scientists.
- Other Terms & Conditions are to be followed as mentioned in sanction order of the grant as and when the award will be sanctioned to awardees.
How to Apply for Young Biotechnologist Award:
Applications in the prescribed proforma should be submitted through online DBT portal (ePromis) on or before 15th July 2019.
3 Hard copies of application along with requisite documents should be sent to Dr. Kakali Dey Dasgupta, Scientist “E”, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Room No. 814, 8th Floor, Block-2, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi-110003.
For details of the award, application proforma and steps for online submission of application, please log on to DBT Website (www.dbtindia.gov.in)
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.