Simons Postdoctoral Fellowships
The official notification for the Simons Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships in Marine Microbial Ecology 2019 has been released. Interested candidates can check out all of the details given below:
The Simons Foundation invites applications for postdoctoral fellowships to support research on fundamental problems in marine microbial ecology. The foundation is particularly interested in applicants with training in different fields who want to apply their experience to understanding the role of microorganisms in shaping ocean processes, and vice versa, as well as applicants with experience in modeling or theory development. While these cross-disciplinary applicants will receive particular attention, applicants already involved in ocean research are also encouraged to apply. The foundation anticipates awarding five fellowships in 2019.
Applicants should have received their Ph.D. or equivalent degree within three years of the fellowship’s start date. Preference will be for applicants with no more than one year of postdoctoral experience. Applicants may be citizens of any country. Awards can only be issued to nonprofit research universities or research institutions in the U.S.
The award is for three years, contingent upon satisfactory annual progress reports, and will include an annual stipend of $62,000 and an annual allowance of up to $25,000. The allowance may be spent on health insurance for the fellow and family, other benefits as required by the institution, research supplies, small equipment (including computers), attendance at scientific meetings, and other research-related travel. Up to $2,000 of the allowance may be used for relocation of the fellow and family to the host institution. Relocation costs must be in accordance with the policies of the host institution. Payment cannot be made directly to fellows. No indirect or overhead costs may be charged. Policies and procedures governing this award can be found at the following link.
Applications must include:
- Short summary of prior research experience and a personal autobiographical statement (two pages)
- Brief research proposal with title (two to three pages, plus references and one page for figures)
- Biosketches of the applicant and sponsor, including publications; the applicant should provide full citations.
- Technical abstract
- Letters of recommendation from applicant’s thesis adviser and two additional research scientists, and letter of support from the postdoctoral research sponsor, who must acknowledge acceptance of the applicant to his or her laboratory. Confidential letters must be submitted through proposalCENTRAL(see instructions) by June 14, 2019.
- Budget (three years)
- Brief budget justification
- Renewable reagents and data-sharing plan
- Signed signature page with institutional approval to document the commitment from the fellow’s institution(s) to administer the fellowship
How To Apply
proposalCENTRAL Log-In Information
- New users first need to create a user account on proposalCENTRAL (pC) at https://proposalcentral.altum.com/. To create a new account, go to https://proposalcentral.altum.com/ (pC) and click create one now under appliction login.
- Fill in the required fields, check the boxes to agree to pC’s Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy and then click save. For all users with a pC account, log in under application login at https://proposalcentral.altum.com/ and select create new proposal or click on the grant opportunities tab.
- Scroll down to Simons foundation and then click apply now for the Life Sciences-Simons Postdoctoral Fellowships in marine microbial ecology program in order to start the proposal and access the templates. After all sections are completed, you will be able to click on the submit button to send.
The deadline for proposal submission is June 14, 2019, 5:00 p.m. ET. Please plan carefully with your host institution and references to meet this deadline. No extensions will be given.