Career in Genetics and Its Scope
Have you ever thought that how come we resemble our parents? Or how twins look similar? Why some people have blue color eye while you have black!
Well answer to these question lies with Genetics – “The science of Heredity”
Nowadays you will find that there has been news for genome sequencing, genome editing using CRISPR and massive genetic data of individuals being produced. This puts light on the increasing importance of genetics as a field of science in today’s life.
Let’s understand how one can make a career in the field of genetics and what its prospects are:
COURSES IN GENETICS
One can pursue genetics as a career by doing courses like Bachelors, Masters & Doctoral degree. Genetics is a wide field and it has applicability in cancer research, assessing newborn defects, Nutrigenomics, DNA sample analysis, etc. The field of genetics allows you to work in medical as well as scientific research.
Undergraduate Courses in Genetics:
- Bachelor of Science in Genetics (B.Sc. Genetics)
- Bachelor of Science Honors in Genetics (B.Sc (Hons.) Genetics)
- B.Sc in Genetics, Microbiology & Chemistry
- B.Sc. (Hons.) in Human Genetics
- B.Sc Genetics, Biotechnology, Biochemistry
- B.Sc. (Agri.) Genetics and Plant Breeding
- B.Tech. Genetic Engineering
Postgraduate/Master Courses in Genetics:
- M.Sc. in Genetics
- M.Sc Honors in Genetics
- M.Sc in Applied Genetics
- M.Sc in Biomedical Genetics
- M.Sc in Human Genetics
- MSc in Human Disease Genetics
- M.Sc in Molecular Biology and Human Genetics
- Master of Philosophy in Genetics (M.Phill.(Genetics))
- M.Sc in Microbial Genetics and Bioinformatics
- M.Sc. in Genetics and Plant Breeding
- M.Tech. Genetic Engineering
Doctoral Courses in Genetics:
- Ph.D. in Genetics
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics
- Ph.D. in Molecular & Human Genetics
- Ph.D. Genetic Engineering
- Ph.D. (Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering)
Some Companies & Institute in India Hiring Genetics Graduates:
- All India Institutes of Medical Sciences
- MapMyGenome & other genetic testing companies
- Lifecell International Private Ltd
- Datar Cancer Genetics Limited
- The Institute of Genomic and Integrative Biology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- National Institute of Animal Biotechnology
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- ICAR-National Institute of High Security Animal Diseases
- Apollo Hospitals
- DNA labs India
- Indian Council of Medical Research
- CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune
- Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
Some Prestigious College for Genetics Courses:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Ch. Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University
- University of Delhi
- Rajendra Agricultural University (Bihar)
- ANU – Acharya Nagarjuna University
- BHU – Banaras Hindu University
- Barkatullah University
- CCS Haryana Agricultural University
- PAU – Punjab Agricultural University
- Punjabi University
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad Central Agricultural University – RPCAU
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
CAREER OPTIONS IN GENETICS-
1) Genetic Counsellors – To have a career as a genetic counselor you must have to be a certified Genetic counselor from a renowned institute. Genetic counselors are in demand nowadays due to the increase in gene-based therapies and wellness treatment. There work majorly involves evaluating the patients family history (Pedigree analysis), identifying any potential risk of disease, producing reports, etc.
2) Forensic Science Research Associates/ Scientist – Here you will be working with the law enforcement firms to identify and analyze the evidence from potential crime scenes. This majorly involves analyses of DNA samples, skin sample, etc and generating relevant data to identify the potential culprit of the crime.
3) Genetic Scientist in Agriculture & Food – You must have heard about Genetically Modified Crops, well this is where the geneticist play role in agriculture & food. The scientist works towards manipulating the plant’s genes and making new varieties. They produce varieties which can tolerate harsh environmental conditions or give improved yields. It is not limited to plants, the scientist work on animal breeds also to get a better variety.
4) Scientific Researcher – After having a doctoral degree one can work on a project involving the study of various genes and their correlation. It helps in paving the way towards new discoveries like CRISPR gene editing. The famous Human Genome Project marks the important role genetic scientists have played over a decade to understand the living beings in the universe.
5) Medical Scientist –This majorly focuses on research related to medical issues. The medical scientist work towards studying genetic diseases especially those with hereditary conditions. They look forward to solutions for treating these diseases and giving someone a better life.
6) Scientific Writer – If you have the zeal to write and express your views on your niche field then writing can take it further. Scientific writing is a very lucrative career in the coming years as it offers you to learn while you earn.
Salaries in Genetics
How much can you earn in the field of genetics?
The salary packages in Genetics field largely depends on knowledge, skills, and experience.
- Entry level jobs or during training period salary varies between 2-2.8 Lakh per annum
- Research Associates salary ranges between 3-5 Lakh per annum
- Junior Scientists salary in private company varies between 6-9 Lakh per annum.
- Senior Scientists salary in private company varies between 15-16 Lakh per annum.
- Doctoral Researchers gets a package of €29,060/yr i.e. more than 22 lakh per annum.
- Postdoctoral Researchers earn a package of €50,525/yr i.e. more than 50 Lakh per annum.
Genetics as a career is in peak demand due to the development of precision based medicine and wellness therapies. Nowadays, people tend to get their genetic profiling done to assess any tendencies for future complications and change their lifestyle accordingly to prevent such conditions. Every field including genetics has a lot of opportunities however your achievements depends upon your interpersonal skills.
So learn, stay informed about the subject, improve your knowledge to stay ahead of others and reach great heights.