The official notification for ICMR JRF 2019 has been released. Check out Exam Date, Eligibility & Application Details for the ICMR’s Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) 2019.
Indian Council of Medical Research
V. Ramalingaswami Bhawan,
Ansari Nagar, Post Box 4911, New Delhi-110029
Test for ICMR Junior Research Fellowship Notification- 2019
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) in collaboration with Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh will hold a National level examination for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), for Indian national candidates at Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Srinagar (J&K) and Varanasi on Sunday, July 21, 2019.
A total of 150 Fellowships would be awarded.
120 fellowships in the field of Biomedical Sciences with emphasis on Life Sciences (like microbiology, physiology, molecular biology, genetics, human biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, biophysics, immunology, pharmacology, nursing, zoology, botany, environmental sciences and veterinary Medicine (excluding Agriculture extension/ Soil Sciences, etc) and thirty fellowships for the work with emphasis on Social Sciences like psychology, sociology, home science, statistics anthropology, social work, public health/health economics (agriculture economics will not be considered).
- Two separate merit lists, one comprising the candidates qualifying for life sciences and the second for those candidates qualifying for social sciences, will be made on the basis of their performance in the above test.
- The candidates selected for the JRF programme of ICMR would be permitted to enroll themselves for the Ph.D. programme in subjects of biomedical/health research of any University/Medical college recognized by the UGC/MCI.
Another 100 candidates would be selected for consideration for positions of JRF under various research schemes of ICMR (subject to fulfilling the conditions for appointment under the schemes) for the duration of that scheme. These JRFs would also be permitted to complete a Ph.D. while working in the scheme if enrolled. The validity of the result will be two years for placement in ICMR funded projects.
- SC/ST/OBC/Physically Handicapped (PH) / Visually Handicapped (VH) applicants will be given such special consideration as per policy guidelines.
- The successful candidates would be notified by post and e-mail during the first week of September 2019. The list would also be available on the ICMR website: https//icmr.nic.in
Information bulletin/brochure, online application form and other details will be available at both PGIMER, Chandigarh website http://pgimer.edu.in and ICMR, New Delhi website: www.icmr.nic.in. Candidates may visit the websites w.e.f. 23.04.2019. The last date for filling of online application is 27.05.2019. Only online application will be accepted, no other mode of submission of application will be accepted.
Fee: Rs.1000/- (General/OBC) & Rs. 800/- (SC/ST/PH/VH)
Eligibility for ICMR JRF 2019:
MSc/MA or equivalent degree with minimum 55% marks for General/OBC candidates and 50% for the SC/ST &Physically Handicapped (PH) and Visually Handicapped (VH) candidates in the subjects mentioned above. Candidates appearing in the final year examination (2018-2019) can also apply.
The upper age limit for admission to the eligibility test is 28 years as on 30-09-2019 (relaxable up to five years in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST/PH/ VH/female candidates and three years in the case of OBC.
Duration and Emoluments of ICMR JRF
Candidates qualifying for the award of JRF will receive a fellowship from ICMR.
1) The value of the fellowship is at present Rs.31,000/- (Rupees Thirty One thousand only) per month.
2) The duration of the fellowship will initially be limited till two years carrying a monthly stipend of Rs.31,000/- and an annual contingency grant of Rs. 20,000/- per annum. The progress of research work would be evaluated annually through annual progress reports.
On completion of two years as JRF, the stipend of a fellow may be increased to Rs. 35,000/- p.m. for the 3rd year on the basis of the assessment of candidate’s research progress/achievements.
Upon such a recommendation, the fellow will be called SRF. In the event of the Committee not recommending upgradation, the fellow will continue as JRF with a stipend of Rs.31,000/- per month for the 3rd year or his/her fellowship may be terminated depending on the decision of the Committee.
The duration as SRF may be for a maximum duration of 3 years or submission of Ph.D. thesis whichever is earlier. Thus, the total tenure as JRF plus SRF shall not exceed 5 (five) years.
Method of selection
Scheme of Test
The test will consist of one paper of two hours duration. The paper will consist of two Sections. The Aptitude Section (Section A) will have 50 questions on
- Scientific phenomenon in everyday life;
- General knowledge in sciences; and
- Common statistics.
All these questions would be compulsory with each question carrying 1 mark. The subject Specific Section (Section B & C) would pertain to (B) Life Sciences and (C) Social Sciences. The candidate may attempt questions in either of the two areas. Each area of section B & C would have 100 questions and the candidate may attempt any 75 questions in the predesigned area of Section B or C.
If a candidate attempts more than 75 questions, then the first 75 attempted questions will only be considered for evaluation. Candidates are required to indicate the option for Section B or C in the application form too.
Each question carries one mark. Negative marking @ 0.25 will be made for each of the wrong answers. The questions in both Sections would appear in English only.
The qualifying marks will be 55% obtained in both the Sections (A+B or C) for General Category & OBC and 50% for SC/ST and Physically Handicapped.
The test will be held in the following streams:
- Aptitude test (common for all)
- Life Sciences
- Social Sciences.
Subjects covered under Life Sciences include microbiology, physiology, molecular biology, genetics, human biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, biophysics, immunology, pharmacology, Nursing, zoology, botany, environmental sciences and veterinary science (excluding Agriculture extension/ Soil Science), etc). Subjects covered under Social Sciences include psychology, sociology, anthropology, social work, home sciences, statistics and Public health/Health economics (excluding others)
How to apply
1) Candidates are required to apply online through PGIMER, Chandigarh website www.pgimer.edu.in or ICMR New Delhi website icmr.nic.in. No other means /mode of application (through the post, e-mail, fax, deposit of CV, etc.) will be accepted.
2) Firstly ensure that you have a valid personal email ID. In case, a candidate does not have a valid personal email ID, he/she should create his/her new email ID before applying Online. You should keep checking the inbox or even the spam box of these mail id regularly during the Admission process as PGIMER may send intimations related to admissions, etc. through this.
3) You will be required to submit the following with the application. Please keep them ready before you submit the application:-
- Photograph (jpeg format – Max. size 50 kb)
- Signature (with black pen) (Jpeg format – Max. size 50 kb)
- Category (SC/ST/OBC/PH/VH) Certificate (If applicable)
- Appearing Certificate from Head of the Institution for those candidates who will be appearing in M.Sc./MA final examination of 2018-2019
Scan your Photograph and Signatures (On a white page with black ballpoint) individually and save them individually in 2×1.5 JPEG format. The size of any of these individual images should not exceed 50 kb each; otherwise, you will not be able to submit your online application. Also, scan your caste/category (SC/ST/ OBC/ PH/VH) Certificate and appearing certificate (if applicable) separately and save them in single page format.
Please keep the following details ready with you before filling up your online application.
- Personal demographic details including Date of Birth and Nationality
- Mobile number
- Personal e-mail ID
- Reservation category details
- Soft copies of scanned photograph, Signature (with black pen) and certificates.
You are now ready to apply online.
- Go to the website www.pgimer.edu.inand click on the link ‘ICMR-JRF Entrance Exam– 2019‘. Further, click the Tab ‘Online Application Form’. Clicking on this Tab will open the Online Application Form.
- Carefully fill Centre Code, Stream Code and Category details choosing an appropriate option from the drop-down menu. Fill Personal details one by one. The name of the candidate or his/her father/ mother/ husband etc. should be spelt correctly in the application as it appears in the certificates/mark sheets. Any change/alteration found may disqualify the candidature. Ensure that Mobile no. and e-mail id are absolutely correct as all communications will be through your e-mail id.
- Click Register Button – This will allot you a unique registration number, login id and password. Make sure to note your login and password as you would require them for future use.
- Your login id and password will be sent at the e-mail ID provided by you and SMS regarding the same will also be sent at the Mobile no. provided by you.
- Click on NEXT Button to complete your application form.
- Fill your Contact Information – Correspondence and Permanent Addresses (Do fill correct PIN code) and click NEXT Button.
- Fill Qualifying Details – (i) Qualifying Exam (M.Sc./M.A/equivalent) (choose from drop-down menu), Year of Passing, Division, % of marks. ii) Year of appearing/has appeared/result awaited (in M.Sc./M.A/equivalent) –attach appearing certificate from the Head of the Institution. From drop down menu select (1) for Result awaited and (2) for Result declared
- Fill Name of the University/Institute awarding the degree.
- Now you are required to upload your scanned photograph/ Signatures/ Certificate(s), if any, one by one. Click on choose file – select relevant scanned image file from browser and then Click on Upload Button. Repeat this process till here is nothing more to upload.
- Now your application is complete. Go through Declaration para carefully. If you fulfil all conditions and criteria of the Admission Notice, then and only then check the “Declaration Confirmed & Accepted” box. Click on SUBMIT Button.
- Application fee payment can be made through the Payment Gateway.
- Based on the category in which you intend to apply, the following Fees will have to be paid:
a) SC/ST/PH/VH: Rs.800/-
b) All other categories: Rs. 1,000/-
- Summary is displayed along with the total amount payable. Click on the “Proceed to Make Payment” link and make the payment online through Credit/Debit Card or Net banking.
- On successful payment, a payment summary is displayed. Print this page for your reference.
- Please take TWO printouts of the Online Application Form by logging in with your login id and password. Affix the same passport size photograph (which was uploaded with the online form) on it and keep it safe with you. The candidate should ensure to take the print out of application form after completing all details. This application printout with photograph affixed on it will have to be submitted to ICMR New Delhi after the declaration of result.
DATE FOR FILLING OF ONLINE APPLICATION FORM: 23.04.2019
LAST DATE FOR FILLING OF ONLINE APPLICATION FORM: 27.05.2019
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.