Dr B R AMBEDKAR NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY,
JALANDHAR – 144011
NIT Jalandhar PhD Biotechnology Admissions
NIT Jalandhar invites applications for admission to PhD Biotechnology Programme in for the Academic Year 2019-2020 (Session July-2019).
Applications are invited for admission to PhD (Full Time& Part Time) Programme in Engineering, Sciences for the Academic Year2019-2020 (Session July-2019).
The Broad areas of Research, Eligibility Criteria, Selection Procedure, Reservation, Teaching Assistantship-cum-Scholarships etc. are given below:
PhD (Full Time/Part-Time) (Broad Areas of Research): Bioprocess Engineering, Environmental Biotechnology, Microbial Biotechnology, Biomaterials and biopolymers, Tissue Engineering, Nanobiotechnology, Biofilms based bioprocess, Bioremediation, Ecotoxicity of pollutants
1) (Full Time& Part Time)
- Engineering Departments: Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology in the relevant area of research along with Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate branch of Engineering/Technology with a first class or minimum 60% marks (or CGPA of 6.5 on 10 point scale) in the qualifying examination.
2) Ph.D. programmes (Part-Time):
Faculty/Technical/Scientific staff of NITJ; Project staff working under the projects sponsored by MHRD/DST/UGC or some other government agency and coordinated by the institute faculty as certified by the concerned Principal Investigator/Coordinator; External candidates sponsored by Industry/Institute having R & D facility recognized by NITJ having minimum two-years experience and possessing the same academic qualifications as that for Ph.D. regular candidates, are eligible to apply for Ph.D. Programme as a part-time candidate. In–service candidates must have to submit No Objection Certificate from their employer in which it must be stated that they will be relieved at least for six months in a stretch for course work.
Candidate/staff working under the projects at NIT Jalandhar, those having appropriate provisions for salaries and contingency grant for the required duration which are sponsored by reputed industrial organization (s) and coordinated by the NIT Jalandhar faculty as Principal Investigator/Coordinator shall also be eligible for admission to Ph.D. programme only if they have at least two years of remaining period at NIT Jalandhar.
For a foreign national candidate who applies through Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India, or Indian Council of Cultural Relations, Govt. of India, are eligible to apply provided that they possess the same minimum qualifications as required for Ph.D. admission in case of Regular candidates.
3) Ph.D. (Full Time) with external fellowships like JRF/DST INSPIRE etc
Candidate who have already secured funding/fellowship from reputed external agencies like JRF/DST INSPIRE etc. can also apply for admission to Ph.D. (Full Time) programme. These candidates, if selected, will not be provided any fellowship/contingency grant by the Institute
The academic qualifications for Ph.D. (Part-time) programmes/Ph.D. (Full Time) with external fellowships like JRF/DST INSPIRE etc. are the same as that for Ph.D. (Full Time).
- The admission to the Ph.D. programme (Full Time& Part Time) in all disciplines mentioned in this advertisement shall be made purely on the basis of a “presentation” to be made by the shortlisted applicants in their proposed area of research followed by “interaction” to be conducted by the respective Department Admission Committee.
- Shortlisting of candidates shall be done by the Departmental Admission Committee for the process of “presentation and interaction” for the applicants. For this purpose, a screening test shall be conducted by 4 the respective Departments. Only those applicants who score marks above the cutoff of 40%, i.e. 24 marks out of 60 for General category candidates and 35% i.e. 21 out of 60 for SC/ST/OBC/EWS/PWD candidates in the screening test shall be eligible for presentation and interaction process. Marks obtained in the screening test shall not be counted for preparation of final merit list of the successful candidates. The details of the Syllabi and Pattern of Examination will be separately notified on the Institute website i.e. www.nitj.ac.in
- The Department Admission Committee for each Department shall recommend the suitable candidates for admission based on its assessment of presentation and interaction. Marks obtained in the screening test shall not be counted for preparation of final merit list of the successful candidates.
- Merely shortlisting of an applicant does not confirm admission to the Ph.D. programme. The admission shall be solely based upon the performance of individuals during “presentation and interaction”. The Department Admission Committee/Institute reserves the right not to recommend any candidate for admission to Ph.D. in the respective Department if the performance of the shortlisted candidates is not found satisfactory during “presentation and interaction”. The decision of the Department Admission Committee (approved by the competent authority of the Institute) shall be final.
- The merit list of the selected candidates (based on presentation & interaction) shall be prepared on marks basis. A candidate who scores less than 40 marks (out of 100) for “presentation & interaction” shall not be considered “qualified” for admission to the Ph.D. programme and his/her name shall not be recommended for admission by Departmental Admission Committee.
How to apply:
The link to fill the online application form can be accessed through Institute website www.nitj.ac.in.
Please submit separate application forms, if applying for more than one programme. Copy of the application
forms duly filled, accompanied by self-attested copies of the relevant certificates/testimonials, along with details
of Application Fee of Rs.1000/- (Rs.500/- for SC/ST/PWD candidates), in an envelope which must be
superscribed as, “APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION TO PhD (FULL TIME/PART TIME) IN THE DEPARTMENT
OF ________,” should reach the concerned „Head of the Department’ by the due date as per schedule given in