Pondicherry University Admission Notification 2019 For School of Life Sciences
The School of Life Sciences is a leading School in Pondicherry University and stands one of the most innovative in the country in conducting interdisciplinary research and teaching in modern areas of Life Sciences. At present the School has six departments and one centre.
M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Marine Biology, Food Science and Nutrition, Food Science and Technology and Bioinformatics are being offered.
In addition, M.Tech in Computational Biology and P.G. Diploma in Biotechnology are also offered. From this year M.Sc. Genomics Science and M.Sc. Biotechnology are being offered under Self-financing mode.
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- M.Sc. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Ph.D. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Selection of students for the M. Sc. and Ph.D Programs is based on the National Level Entrance Examination conducted by the Pondicherry University at various centers in the country. The test consists of 100 multiple choice questions in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Zoology, Botany, Chemistry, Biophysics, Microbiology, Genetics, Physiology and allied areas at B.Sc level for admission of M.Sc Programme, and M.Sc level for entry to Ph.D. Programme.
Thrust Areas of Research
- Reproductive Endocrinology, Toxicology
- Microbial Biochemistry & Biotechnology
- Nanomedicine, Liver Regeneration
- Natural Principles, Cell Signaling, Degenerative diseases, Cancer, Diabetes, Parkinson’ s, Alzhemier’s, Heart and Liver diseases
- Gene delivery –Targeted therapy, Nano Oncology
- Tumorigenesis & Cell Signaling
- DNA Damage Response, DNA Repair
- Cellular & Molecular Neuroscience
- Endocrinology & Ageing Biochemistry
- Sensorineural Degeneration and Cell Therapeutics; Retinal Biology
Department of Microbiology
The Department was started in the year 2009 and was housed under the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Life Sciences. The Department is committed to excellence in education, research and extension.
- M.Sc. Microbiology
- Ph.D. Microbiology
M.Sc. Microbiology: The selection of students is based on All India entrance examination. The question paper will consist of 100 multiple choice questions testing the basic knowledge of the students in general and applied microbiology, biochemistry, cell and molecular biology and genetic engineering.
Ph.D. Microbiology: For admission to the Ph.D program, UGC/CSIR- NET qualified students are directly admitted to the program. Students can join the Ph.D. Program based on merit as per list prepared following the National Level Entrance Examination conducted by Pondicherry University and are entitled to receive the University Fellowship. Research Fellows selected in Research Projects who are desirous to register for Ph.D. have to appear for the Entrance Examination.
Thrust Areas of Research
The faculty members are actively engaged in research and published papers in international impact journals. Various funded projects by UGC, DST-SERB, DBT, DST Indo-Ireland and CSIR are being implemented in Department of Microbiology. Based on the expertise of the faculty, the following thrust area of research are being promoted in the Department of Microbiology:
- Metagenomics and Microbial Bioprospecting.
- Fungal Genetics and Mycotoxicology
- Microbial Biocatalysis and Drug Discovery
- Enzyme Technology
- Host-Pathogen interaction
Centre for Genomic Science
The field of genomic science is a recently emerged highly prospective field with fast expanding opportunities in industries (genome sequence technologies, bio-data analytics and genome medicine), academic, research, governmental and non-governmental organizations.
M.Sc. Genomic Science (Self-Financed Course)
M.Sc. Genomic Science: The selection of students is based on All India entrance examination. The question paper will consist of objective type based 100 multiple choice questions. The questions will test the basic knowledge of the students in fundamentals of biology, basic science, biochemistry, cell and molecular biology and genetic engineering
Department of Biotechnology
The Department of Biotechnology, established in 1992, offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in Biotechnology.
- M.Sc. Biotechnology
- Ph.D. Biotechnology (Full-time)
- PG-Diploma in Biotechnology(Add on course)
M. Sc. Biotechnology: Twenty Nine students are admitted based on merit through the DBT-JNU All India Entrance Examination(CEEB) conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Additionally, 2 top ranking students from among those who are natives of Union Territory of Puducherry (appeared in CEEB and qualified with cut off mark) are also admitted. All the students admitted to M.Sc. Biotechnology programme through DBT-JNU entrance examination are given a fellowship @ Rs. 5,000/- p.m. Twenty students are admitted under self financing mode (Rs. 1,00,000/- per year) based on merit in the Entrance Examination conducted by the Pondicherry University.
Ph.D. Biotechnology (Full-time) The Department offers a full-time Ph.D. programme for which students are admitted through All India entrance examination conducted by the University. The number of students to be admitted for Ph.D. is decided on the basis of requirement and the number of vacancies available in the Department. The students admitted for Ph. D. programme through University Entrance Examination are offered a stipend of Rs. 8,000/- per month for a period of three years. Those with JRF-NET (CSIR/UGC/DBT/ICMR) are exempted from appearing in the entrance examination.
PG-Diploma in Biotechnology (Add-on course) This is of two semester course offered during evening hours to students. Twenty Students are admitted based on merit in the qualifying examination and the reservation is given as per University norms.
Thrust Areas of Research
- Drug discovery from microbes, plants and animals.
- Nucleic acid of plant pathogens
- Probiotics for disease control in fish, shrimp, poultry and cancer.
- Plant genomics and Genetic engineering of crop plants
- Nosocomial infections; Bacterial pathogens; Host-pathogen interaction; Quorum sensing
- Stem Cell Biology
- Biological Nanomaterials
- Epigenetics and Protein Engineering
- Chemical Biology
Department of Food Science and Technology
The Department of Food Science and Technology (Formerly Food Science and Nutrition) under the School of Life Sciences was established in the year 2007 offering post graduate courses and Ph.D programme in Food Science and Nutrition and Food Science and Technology (2009-2010 onwards).
- M. Sc. Food Science and Nutrition
- M. Sc. Food Science and Technology
- Ph.D. Food Science and Nutrition(Full time)
- Ph.D. Food Science and Technology(Full time)
The selection of student is based on All India Entrance Examination.
M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Food Science and Nutrition The question paper will consists of 100 Multiple Choice Questions in Human physiology, Food Microbiology, Biochemistry, Food Science, Nutrition, Dietetics and allied areas.
Ph.D. Admission Requirements: Master’s degree in Food Science and Nutrition/ Home Science/ Microbiology/ Biotechnology with a minimum of 55% of marks.
M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Food Science and Technology The question paper will consists of 100 Multiple Choice Questions in Basic Mathematics, Food Microbiology, Biochemistry, Food Science, Food Process Engineering, Agricultural Engineering and allied areas.
Thrust areas of research
Food product development by using Novel Processing Techniques, Development of gadgets/ machineries for the Food Processing, Isolation and Characterization of Bioactive Phytochemicals, Safety Assurance of Food, Novel Food Products based on Functional Starter Cultures, Fermented Foods and Starter Culture and Meat Processing.
Centre for Bioinformatics
The Centre for Bioinformatics in Pondicherry University was started as Sub Distributed Information Centre of the Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India (DBT) in 1991.
- M.Sc. Bioinformatics
- M.Tech. Computational Biology
- Ph.D. Bioinformatics
M.Sc. Bioinformatics Selection is based on an entrance examination conducted at various Centres by Pondicherry University. The test consists of multiple choice questions in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Biophysics, Computer Science, Statistics and Mathematics.
M.Tech. Computational Biology Selection will be based on a common entrance examination to be conducted at various Centres by Pondicherry University. The details will be advertised in newspapers and will be available at www.pondiuni.edu.in, www.bicpu. edu.in and www.annauniv.edu. The test consists of multiple choice questions in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Biophysics, Computer Science, Statistics and Mathematics. A stipend of ` 12,500/- p.m. will be provided by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, New Delhi for all the students admitted
Ph.D. in Bioinformatics Selection is based on an entrance examination conducted at various Centres by Pondicherry University. The test consists of multiple choice questions in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Biophysics, Computer Science, Statistics and Mathematics at PG level. Candidates who have qualified for JRF (UGC / CSIR-NET / DBT-BINC) are exempted from entrance exam. They can apply directly. The University has signed an MoU with Institute of Bioinformatics (IoB), Bangalore for collaborative research and Ph.D. guidance. Selected candidates can also work at IoB on collaborative projects.
Thrust areas of research
Molecular Evolution, Systems Biology, DNA-Protein Interactions, Comparative Genomics, Protein Structure Modeling, Molecular modeling, X-ray Crystallography, Drug Design, Cell Signaling, Single particle analysis, Medicinal Chemistry, Computational Biology, Molecular Biology.
Port Blair Campus
Department of Ocean Studies and Marine Biology
Centre for Ocean and Island Studies was established in the year 2000 and was upgraded as a full-fledged Department of Ocean Studies and Marine Biology in 2004.
- M.Sc. Marine Biology
- Ph.D. Marine Biology
M.Sc. – Marine Biology The question paper consists of 100 objective type questions with multiple choices in the field of Biological sciences at B. Sc. Level
Ph.D. in Marine Biology The question paper consists of 100 objective type questions with multiple choices in the field of Marine Biological sciences at M. Sc. Level. UGC/CSIR/DST Inspire Fellowship –NET qualified students are admitted directly to the Ph.D program.
|Name of the Course||Application Fee (Per course)|
|SC*/ ST *||PH**/ Transgender**||Others|
|P.G. / P.G. Diploma||300||Nil||600|
|MBA (Each Course)||500||Nil||1000|
- Subject to submission of relevant certificate.
** Subject to submission of relevant certificate from Govt. Medical Officer.
The application fee for NRI and Overseas student is US$100 (i.e Rs. 7100 in equivalent Indian currency). Application fee to be paid online by following the instruction available in the University website.
Instructions to Candidates
Before starting Registration of Online Application please ensure availability of the following:
- Read Prospectus 2019-20, Instructions and other details thoroughly and carefully.
- A virus free computer with good Internet connectivity.
- Required Educational qualification details.
- Scanned colour passport photo of size 20Kb-60Kb for uploading
- Scanned Signature of Applicant of size 10Kb-30K for uploading
- Scanned copy of Community Certificate, if applicant belongs to SC/ST category
- Scanned copy of Disability Certificate, if applicant is physically disabled
- Scanned copy of relevant certificate from Govt. Medical officer/RMO, if applicant isTransgender.
- Valid e-mail id of Applicant to be used for all Admission related correspondences
- Valid mobile number for sending SMS
- Valid Credit / Debit Card/ Net Banking Account needed for online payment of Application Fee.
- Candidates can apply for more than one Programme. Refer Entrance Exam Time Table and avoid conflict of Entrance Exam Date and Slot, while applying for more thanone programme
- University will not be responsible for any overlap, if the candidate could not take the Entrance Exam for the particular Programme(s). It is the candidate responsibility tochoose/ apply for multiple Programmes without clash of Exam Date and Slot.
HOW TO APPLY FOR REGISTRATION
- First time, enter as ‘New User’
- Fill in the New User Sign Up form
- On submission, a unique User Id and Password will be generated and sent to Email and Mobile No. provided.
- Thereafter, login as Registered Candidate using this User Id and Password.
- Change your password at 1st Login.
- Enter Personal details, Academic Details, Experience Details (if any) and Upload Photo, Signature and Documents wherever required.
- Apply for Programme(s):
- Select Programme and Specialization, fill other details and proceed for Payment.
- Payment and Submission of Application:Payment can be made only by online mode
- Select Credit card/Debit card/Net Bankingfor online payment
- If successful, a confirmation e-mail and SMS will be sent
Note: Request for Change of Category/Entrance Exam Centres after submission of Application shall not be entertained /considered under any circumstances.
- Application Fee
- Instructions for Applicants
- Courses List
- Course Fee Details
- Entrance Exam Centres
- Entrance Exam Time Table
|Online Registration Starts on||22nd March 2019|
|Last Date for Online Registration||22nd April 2019|
|Dates of Entrance Examination||7th, 8th & 9th June 2019|
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.