SERB International Travel Support
Today on 19 March 2019, the Applications are accepted only for the events whose start date is between 18 May, 2019 and 17 June, 2019 including both these dates.
International Travel Support (ITS) Scheme provides financial assistance to Indian researchers for presenting a research paper in an international scientific event (conference, seminar, workshop etc.) held abroad.
In addition, support is also provided to young scientists (age limit below 35 years as on date of start of the event) for attending training programmes, Short-term schools and Workshops.
Economy class air-fare by shortest route from Air India, airport-tax and visa fees are provided under the scheme. Registration Fee is provided to young scientist in addition to the above support. Applications can be submitted within the window of 60-90 days in advance from the date of start of the event. The system will not accept early or late submission of applications.
The ITS scheme is to provide financial assistance for presenting a original research paper or chairing a session or delivering a keynote address in an international scientific event held abroad (conference/seminar/symposium etc.). This scheme also provides support to young researchers (Age<35 years on the date of start of event) for attending workshop, short term training programmes and schools being organized outside India.
- Applicant should be an active Indian researcher engaged in R&D work in recognized academic institutions or research laboratories in India.
- The applicant should have an invitation for presenting an original scientific paper. Similar invitation is required in the case of young scientists attending training programmes such as short term courses, summer/winter schools, workshop etc.
- The applicant should not have availed financial assistance under this Scheme during the last three years.
- The scientific event should be of an international character. Invitation of personal nature such as for carrying out post-doctoral work, informal training programmes/courses, internship, observer-ship etc. will not be eligible for support.
- Applicant must have obtained Master’s degree in Science or Bachelor’s degree in professional courses from a recognized University by the time of submission of application.
Nature of Support:
This scheme provides to & fro economic class air fare by the shortest route, airport tax and visa fees for attending the specific event. Registration fees is also provided to young scientists (Age<35 on the date of start of event) in addition to the above support. The support is provided on reimbursement basis as per actual expenditure incurred by the applicant within the guidelines of the scheme. However, Taxi fare will not be reimbursed.
- An endorsement letter duly signed and stamped by competent authority of the institute.
- A copy of letter of acceptance of the presenting paper (oral/poster) by the organizers.
- A copy of the abstract of the paper to be presented. Please be sure to include name of all the authors, authors’ affiliated institutions with full address and title of the abstract.
- Biodata with complete list of Scientific / Technical publications and Patents, if any.
- Endorsement by the Head of the Institution Download Template
- Certificate by the Applicant including Event Benefits Download Template
- Bio-data of the Applicant
- Acceptance Letter from the Organizer
- Abstract(s) of the paper(s) to be presented
- Event Details
- Event Details
- Date of Birth Certificate
- Event Benefits
- Financial Support from Other Sources
Claim Reimbursement Stage:
- Claim Form Download Template
- Bank Account Details Download Template
- Air/Rail/Bus/Others tickets
- Cash Receipt of Air Ticket
- Boarding Passes
- Visa Charges
- Registration Receipt
- Participation Certificate
- Certificate(s) for amount received from other sources
- Civil Aviation Permission Letter
- Any other(Miscellaneous Upload)
Terms & Conditions of ITS grant:
- Travel grant should be used only for attending the scientific event for which the SERB accorded its approval.
- The Institute/Applicant should submit the claim bills, and other necessary documents within 90 days from the last day of the event.
- The host institute/Applicant shall ensure that the fund released is used exclusively and appropriately for which it has been sanctioned.
- If the applicant to whom the travel grant has been awarded leaves the institution, the Institute and the applicant should inform SERB immediately, and the grant released, if any, should be refunded back by the Institute to SERB immediately by means of DD drawn in favour of “Fund for Science and Engineering Research”.
- If the results of research are to be legally protected, the results should not be presented in international fora without action being taken to secure legal protection for the research results.
- If any candidate found to have furnished incorrect / misleading information at any stage, his/her candidature will be cancelled and no reimbursement will be made. The candidate will also be debarred for next three years for availing support under this scheme.
How to apply online:
For successful online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
- Applicant(s) should first register into the online website click here to register
- After log-in, kindly go to Menu –> Proposal Submission –> Form Submission –> Select scheme and start filling the form online.
- The researchers are required to apply online through the portal between 60-90 days in advance prior to the start date of the event. The system will not accept early or late submission of applications.
- Application submitted through any other mode will not be considered.
The contact details of Programme Officers are given below:
Dr. T Thangaradjou, Scientist ‘E’
5 & 5A, Lower Ground Floor,
Vasant Square Mall,
Sector-B, Pocket-5, Vasant Kunj
Telephone: 40000355 / 011-40000305 / 40000321
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1: I was awarded Travel Support to attend an International Conference held in Washington. But, I could not attend the conference due to delay in getting Visa. Can I use the above support to attend another conference to be held in July 2017?
A1: No. The support given to one event cannot be used to attend another. The Applicant should apply a fresh to seek support for another event.
Q2: I have been given travel support to attend an International Conference in Guangzhou, China. Air India does not operate directly to the destination. Can I go by Private Airlines which has direct connection from Delhi?
A2: No. If Air India does not have direct flight, you should go to the nearest hub (in this case Hong Kong) by Air India and beyond that you can avail the service of private airlines (preferably services offered by Air India partner airlines). If, you travel only by private airlines, no travel claim will be reimbursed.
Q3: I have been recommended support to attend an International Conference to be held in Paris. I find the cost of travel by Air India is much higher than Private Airlines. Can I travel by Private Airlines as the cost is cheaper?
A3: No. You should travel by Air India only.
Q4: I have availed travel support earlier under this scheme and three year period has not been completed (one month is left) yet. I want to apply for another conference now. Am I eligible?
A4: No. You should have completed three years. The duration of three years will be counted from the date of start of last conference to the date of start of the conference which you intend to apply now.
Q5: What are the criteria for awarding travel support?
A5: The Board receives large number of applications. The selection is made based on many parameters. Most important of them being the track record of the applicant as evidenced from the list of publications in SCI journals during the last 5 years and also the importance of the conference. The Committee tries to accommodate candidates from different institutions and different categories (young researchers, women and senior researchers) within the available resources.
Q6: I have been invited by a Professor at MIT, USA to undergo training in his laboratory for 2 months to learn modern techniques. Such facilities are not available in our country, and this training will help immensely in furthering my research skills. Can I avail support to undergo this training?
A6: No. The scientific event should have an international character. Invitation of personal nature such as carrying out post-doctoral work, informal training programmes/courses, internship, observer-ship etc. will not be eligible for support.
Q7: I have been awarded travel support to attend an international conference in London. I have a plan to spend 2 months in the laboratory of a Professor at Cambridge University immediately after the conference is over. Can I use the travel support to further my research at Cambridge University?
A7: You can use the travel support to hone your research skill at Cambridge University. But you should indicate the plan while seeking the support, and should return and settle the travel bill within 90 days from the last date of the event. SERB will reimburse economy class airfare to London and back home only.
Q8: I have been recommended support to attend a conference in Chicago, USA from 20-25 May 2017. I have also been invited to attend a 4- day training program in New York prior to the event in Chicago. Can I also attend the training program in New York and then go to Chicago. Will SERB reimburse the air fare from New York to Chicago?
A8: No. SERB will not reimburse the air fare from Chicago – New York. SERB will only reimburse the economy class airfare by shortest route to Chicago and back.
Q9: I have been recommended travel support to attend a conference in Sydney (Australia) from 20-25 June 2017. After the conference is over, a five- day short- term school is scheduled at the same venue. The organizers are charging separate registration fee for the school. Will SERB provide registration fees for both the events?
A9: No. You will be provided registration fee for that event only which has been recommended by SERB.
Q10: My conference is in Toronto ,Canada from 15-18 May 2017. I am already in Vancouver (Canada). I plan to travel from Vancouver to Toronto and then I will come back to India. Will my air fare be reimbursed?
Q11: My conference starts from June 5, 2017 and I have booked my tickets accordingly. Now I want to reschedule my journey and Airlines is asking for additional charges for rescheduling the tickets. Will SERB provide additional charges?
A11: No. SERB will not provide any kind of additional charges paid by you for cancellation or rescheduling. Also additional baggage charges collected by the airlines will not be considered for reimbursement. It is advised to book the tickets in advance to avoid escalation in cost of air fare.
Q12: What, if I have provided any incorrect/misleading information?
A12: Application will be cancelled and given support will be withdrawn at any stage and no reimbursement will be made. The candidate will also be debarred for next three years for availing support under this scheme. No correspondence will be entertained in this matter. SERB has all the rights to take any action in consultation with the applicant’s parent organization / university / institute etc.
Q13: What precautions should I take while booking the tickets?
A13: It is advised to book the air tickets only after the issuance of visa and keeping the validity dates of visa to avoid deboarding at the airport due to visa validity issue. Visa should be valid on the date when you are boarding the flight. Please make sure that you should have transit visa or other valid documents while booking the tickets.
Q14: Can I submit my travel claim for reimbursement anytime?
A14: No. You should submit travel claim (through online portal and hardcopies of original bills, boarding passes) within 90 days from the last date of the event. Otherwise, your travel claim will not be reimbursed.
Q15: Can I submit my application for travel support and further my travel claim offline.
A15: No. SERB accepts application for travel support and travel claim through online portal only. Additionally, SERB requires hardcopies of original boarding passes, visa fee receipt and other bills along with print out of your online travel claim sheet.
Q16: I have been recommended travel support to attend a conference abroad but due to some reason, I could not attend the conference. Will SERB reimburse my visa fee.
A16: No. Reimbursement of visa fees is subjected to attending the conference.
Q17: Does SERB reimburse taxi fare, agent fee, and excess baggage charges?
A17: No. SERB does not reimburse taxi fare and excess baggage charges. In case of agent fee, SERB reimburses government recognized travel agents fees and VFS charges as applicable.
Q18: As a young researcher, can I get the entire registration fee including abstract submission / dinner, tour, accommodation etc.?
A18: No. The primary registration fee (excluding group meetings fee, abstract submission fee, gala/reception dinner, accommodation, tour etc.) will only be reimburse.
Q19: Does SERB provide support to researchers to attend conferences with in India?
A19: No, as self-explanatory, this scheme is to provide support to attend conferences and workshops outside India and anywhere in the world.