Google Ph.D. Fellowships directly support graduate students as they pursue their Ph.D., as well as connect them to a Google Research Mentor.
Nurturing and maintaining strong relations with the academic community is a top priority at Google. The Google Ph.D. Fellowship Program was created to recognize outstanding graduate students doing exceptional work in computer science and related research areas. Google currently offer Fellowships in Australia, China and East Asia, Europe, Africa, India, the United States and Canada.
The best and the brightest
Google PhD Fellowship students are a select group recognized by Google researchers and their institutions as some of the most promising young academics in the world. The Fellowships are awarded to students who represent the future of research in the following fields
- Algorithms, Optimizations and Markets
- Computational Neuroscience
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Machine Learning
- Machine Perception, Speech Technology and Computer Vision
- Mobile Computing
- Natural Language Processing (including Information Retrieval and Extraction)
- Privacy and Security
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Quantum Computing
- Structured Data and Database Management
- Systems and Networking
What does the Google PhD Fellowship include?
Students receive named Fellowships which include a monetary award. The funds are given directly to the university to be distributed to cover the student’s expenses and stipend as appropriate. The funds are given as an unrestricted gift, and it is Google’s policy not to pay for overhead on unrestricted gifts. In addition, the student will be matched with a Google Research Mentor who we hope will become a valuable resource to the student. There is no employee relationship between the student and Google as a result of receiving the fellowship. Fellowship recipients are not subject to intellectual property restrictions unless they complete an internship at Google. Fellowship recipients serving an internship are subject to the same intellectual property and other contractual obligations as any other Google intern. If a Fellowship student is interested, an internship at Google is encouraged, but not guaranteed or required.
- Up to 4-year Fellowship
- US $50K to cover stipend and other research-related activities, travel expenses including overseas travel
- Google Research Mentor
Is my university eligible for the PhD Fellowship Program?
In India and Africa, applications are open to students in Computer Science and related areas from any Indian or African university, respectively.
What are the eligibility requirements for students?
Direct applicant students in Africa and India
- Applicants must be enrolled in a full-time PhD program at a university in Africa or India. Applicants who are currently in their first year of a part-time PhD program and transferring to full-time positions are also welcome to apply.
- If you are in a PhD program already, you should be an early-stage PhD student when submitting your application, i.e., you have completed one year or less of your PhD.
- Students must remain enrolled in the PhD program for the duration of the Fellowship or forfeit the award.
- Current undergraduate, master students and professionals may apply. The Google Fellowship award shall be contingent on the awardee registering for a full-time PhD program of an African or Indian university in Computer Science or related areas within the calendar year of the fellowship, or the award shall be forfeited.
- Applicants enrolled in an undergraduate or masters program must be current, full-time students at an African or Indian university.
- Professionals must be employed/affiliated with an organization registered in Africa or India, and receipt of the award is contingent on them joining a full-time PhD program at an African or Indian university within the calendar year of the award.
- Grant of the Google Fellowship does not mean admission to the PhD program of a university. The awardee must also complete the PhD admission process of the respective institute/university where he/she wishes to register for a PhD.
- Grant of the Google Fellowship will be subject to the rules and guidelines applicable in the institute/university where the awardee registers for the PhD program.
Google employees, and their spouses, children, and members of their household are not eligible.
- Students that are already supported by a comparable industry award are not eligible.
What should be included in an application?
You’ll need the following documents in order to complete an application:
- Applicant’s resume with links to publications (if available)
- Available transcripts (mark sheets) starting from first year/semester of Bachelors degree till date
- Research statement of purpose (maximum two pages)
- Three letters of recommendation from those familiar with the applicant’s work (at least one coming from the thesis adviser in case of current PhD students). If the recommendation writers want to send the letter separately, they can mail it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Recommendation for [applicant-name]”
How do I apply for the PhD Fellowship Program?
Check the eligibility for your university and eligibility for student nominations in your region before applying. The submission forms will become available on the main Google PhD Fellowship Program page when the application period begins.
In India and Africa, students may apply directly during the application period, which opens each February in India and November in Africa.
How many students may each university nominate?
In India and Africa, applications are open and google doesn’t not have a limit to the number of students that can apply from a university
Who should submit the applications?
In India and Africa, students may apply directly during the application window.
What language should the application be in?
All documents should be submitted in English.
Can students apply directly for a Fellowship?
Students from India and Africa may apply directly.
How are Google PhD Fellowships given?
Any monetary awards will be paid directly to the Fellow’s university for distribution. No overhead should be assessed against them.
What are the intellectual property implications of a Google PhD Fellowship?
The funds are given as an unrestricted gift. Fellowship recipients are not subject to intellectual property restrictions unless they complete an internship at Google. If that is the case, they are subject to the same intellectual property restrictions as any other Google intern.
Will the Fellowship recipients become employees of Google?
No, there will not be any employee relationship (except as an intern) between Fellowship recipients and Google.
Can Fellowship recipients also be considered for the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship or the Google Scholarship for Students with Disabilities?
Yes, Fellowship recipients are eligible for these scholarships. For more information, please see the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship or the Google Europe Scholarship for Students with Disabilities.
After award notification, when do the Google PhD Fellowships begin?
After Google PhD Fellowship recipients are notified, the Fellowship is effective starting the following school year.
What are the application time periods in each region?
Fellowship applications are received February-May each year. Awardees are notified by July and publicly announced in August.
How can I ask additional questions?
If your question has not been answered by a FAQ, email email@example.com
The Google India PhD Fellowship program application window for 2019 is now open until Friday, 12th April 2019 at 11:59:59 PM IST. Please click here to apply.