IISER Bhopal Ph.D. Programme Admissions
Applications are invited for admission to Ph.D. programme in Biological Sciences for the semester commencing from August 2019.
Department of Biological Sciences offers research in the areas of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Cancer Biology, Epigenetics, Chemical Biology, Virology, Behavioral Biology, Plant Cell and Developmental Biology, Metagenomics, Systems Biology, Ecology, Evolution and Molecular Systematics.
Eligibility (Minimum Qualification)
1) M.Sc./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in the relevant discipline with a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA/CPI of 7.0 on a 10 point scale (overall percentage/CGPA/CPI; not just in the majoring subject). Students with M.Sc./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in a branch of Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics can also apply provided they have an aptitude for research in Biological Sciences
If the transcript/grade sheet issued by the Institute/University reports:
A) Only marks: percentage will be considered
B) Only grades: CGPA/CPI will be considered. If CGPA/CPI is reported on any scale other than 10 (eg. 4 point/ 8 point scale), an equivalent CGPA/CPI will be calculated as per the following formula: CGPA/CPI in a 10 point scale = (CGPA/CPI Obtained×10)/PS PS = Point scale used by the Institute/University .
C) Both marks and CGPA/CPI: Percentage equivalent of CGPA/CPI, as indicated on the transcript/grade sheet, will be considered. The conversion factor must be available in the transcript/grade sheet.
2) Exceptionally brilliant candidates with B.Tech./MBBS/MCA can also apply for the Ph.D. program in Biological Sciences.
3) Additionally, a National level examination such as GATE / CSIR-UGC-JRF / DBT-JRF (category I only) / ICMR-JRF (category A only) / CSIR-UGC-LS / Provisional letter of INSPIRE-JRF for Ph.D./ Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship or any other recognized score is mandatory. The certificate/fellowship MUST be valid at the time of admission.
Please note that the National level examination criteria is NOT mandatory for the students who have completed their BS-MS degree with CPI 8.0 and above from any of the IISER (Berhampur, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram, Tirupati).
- A relaxation of 5% of marks will be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PD categories.
- Merely fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the interview.
Preferably not more than 28 years. Age relaxation of 3 years will be given for OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) and 5 years for SC/ST/PD/Female applicants.
- Upper age limit shall be determined as on the last date of online submission of applications.
- Date of Birth as recorded in the Matriculation/ Secondary Examination Certificate/Aadhar Card only will be accepted by the IISER Bhopal for determining the age.
According to the Government of India norms.
All selected candidates will be eligible to receive JRF fellowship as per the funding agency norms, in vogue.
The selection procedure for admission to the Ph.D. programme will be based on the performance of the candidate in the interviews which will be conducted in two rounds (Rounds I and II).
Candidates shortlisted from Round I will have the option to interact with faculty members in the department following which Round II of the interviews will be conducted for the final selection. During the interviews, the candidate will be evaluated for their conceptual knowledge and the research aptitude in the field of Biological Sciences.
- To submit the Online Ph.D. Application for Biological Sciences, please Click here.
- Please retain a print out of the PDF of the online application form submitted by you.
- The following documents must be brought on the day of the interview, if shortlisted and called for interview.
- Signed hard-copy of PDF of the online application form with recent color photograph affixed on it.
- Self-attested relevant certificates (listed in the PDF copy of online application form).
- After the last date, all applications will be screened and candidates selected for interviews will be intimated by email only.
- To download the format of Recommendation Letter, please Click here.
- April 08, 2019: Last Date for Receipt of Application.
- May 15, 2019: Announcement of Shortlisted Candidates for the Interview.
- June 17 – 18, 2019: Interview of Shortlisted Candidates.
- June 20, 2019: Announcement of Interview Results.
- July 31, 2019: Registration for the Ph.D. Programme.
Last Date for Receipt of Application: April 08, 2019
Department of Biological Sciences
Dr. Sunando Datta
Head, Department of Biological Sciences
Email: [email protected]
Dr. Vimlesh Kumar
Convener, Ph.D. Admissions Committee
Convener, Departmental Post-Graduate Committee
Email: [email protected]
Queries will be entertained on the above-mentioned e-mail only. No phone calls will be entertained.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.