IISER-TVM Ph.D. Admissions August 2019
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting August 2019.
Applicants must satisfy the following eligibility criteria:
1) Master’s degree (A five-year degree after +2 level) in Biological Sciences/Chemical Sciences/Physical Sciences/ Mathematics/ Bioinformatics/ Agricultural Sciences/Veterinary Sciences or a Bachelor Degree in Medicine (MBBS). The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on 1st August 2019.
2) The applicant must have a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10 or equivalent. A 5% relaxation on minimum marks will be allowed for SC, ST and PwD candidates. According to your mark list if your CGPA is not calculated on a scale of 10, please convert the CGPA to a scale of 10 and enter in the space provided. Please mention this in the remarks column [See point-1 under the heading “Important Points” below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
3) Qualification in one or more of the following national level tests with validity as on 1st August 2019: CSIR-UGC-JRF/ DBT-JRF (Category I)/ ICMR-JRF/ Ranks 1 to 100 in GATE (Ecology and Evolution)**/JGEEBILS (GS-2019)***. Candidates qualified for DST-Inspire Ph.D. Fellowship are also eligible to apply [See point-2 under the heading “Important Points for all Schools” below for INSPIRE Ph. D Fellowship].
- Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to avail Category 1 DBT-Junior Research Fellowships tenable at any university/institution in India. Fellowships restricted to join DBT or ICMR sponsored projects are not eligible.
** GATE (EY) qualified candidates are eligible only for Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour. GATE exam scores for other subjects will not be considered for Ph.D. admissions to the School of Biology at IISER-TVM.
*** Candidates who have appeared for the JGEEBILS 2019 test are eligible to apply. JGEEBILS candidates will be shortlisted by IISER TVM Ph.D. Applications shortlisting committee based on the marks provided by the JGEEBILS examination organizers.
It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit a short research proposal of 300-400 words, which should clearly state a research problem you find interesting to address and how you approach towards solving this. While applying online, please upload this proposal under the section “Statement of Purpose“.
Please note: the proposal does not need to be related to the research ongoing at the School of Biology, IISER-TVM. The proposal will be used to evaluate your scientific aptitude and will be a major criterion for short-listing candidates for the interview. Your application will be treated as incomplete if you do not submit the short research proposal.
Short-listed candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM. There will be two rounds of interviews, conducted over three days.
- In case of a high turnout of candidates, an entrance exam will be conducted (based on Master’s level Biology questions for 70% marks and 12th level Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry questions-together 30%) on the first day of interviews. Hence, all the short-listed candidates must report at IISER-TVM on the first day of the interviews.
- The final selection of candidates will solely be based on the performance during the interviews.
Research Areas in School of Biology open for Ph.D. students in this round of selection:
- Bioinformatics (Group 1, Group 2)
- Cell Biology (Group 1)
- Developmental Biology (Group 1)
- Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour (Group 1, Group 2)
- Genetics (Group 1)
- Genomics (Group1)
- Immunology (Group 1)
- Molecular Biology (Group1)
- Plant Development, Genetics, Genomics and Cell Biology (Group 1)
- Structural Molecular Biology (Group1)
- Virology (Group1)
- Applicants should complete the online application form in the URL http://appserv.iisertvm.ac.in/phd
- [Only Properly submitted applications would be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not forget to click the “submit” button after completing your application]
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, signature, community certificate and national level examination (CSIR/NBHM/Inspire etc.) online.
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of two referees in the application form.
- GE/OBC [SC/ST/PH] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 500/- [Rs. 250/-] as processing fee through the https://www.onlinesbi.com/prelogin/icollecthome.htm
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique application number.
- Applicants are NOT required to post a hard copy of the application to IISER-TVM.
- In case of any application related queries, please contact by email, addressed to the PhD coordinator [email@example.com]. Other modes of communication will not be entertained.
- Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview.
Important points for all schools:
- Normal relaxation to the eligibility criteria will be applicable as per government of India guidelines.
- Candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for obtaining INSPIRE Ph.D. fellowship as per the DST guidelines can also apply. In the event of shortlisting, and successful clearing of the interview, the candidate shall be provisionally admitted for the Ph.D. program. The admission shall be canceled, if the candidate is unable to provide evidence for INSPIRE Ph.D. fellowship at the time of registration.
|Opening of online application portal||01st March 2019|
|Last date for receipt of online applications||30th April 2019|
|Ph.D. interview dates for the School of Biology||27-29th May 2019|
|Reporting time for all candidates||8.30am on the first day of the interview|
|Venue||IISER Thiruvananthapuram, Vithura Campus|
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.