Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
Ph.D. Admission for Autumn Semester 2019-20
About Doctoral Research:
Keeping in view the long tradition of academic excellence, the following institutional goals have been laid for doctoral research:
1) To develop deep and broad understanding of fundamentals and state of the art of knowledge in the chosen field through courses and self-study,
2) To develop synergy between creativity, innovation and the frontiers of knowledge in the chosen field of study,
3) To develop ability and skills to carry out independent research and development to face the challenges posed to mankind on specific problems, and
4) To develop abilities to identify new possibilities in the given Indian social context and to undertake research and development through one’s own initiatives.
The Degree of Doctor of philosophy is granted for research work in areas recognized by the Academic Departments / Centres of the Institute. The research work shall be an original work characterized either by the discovery of facts, or by a fresh approach towards the interpretation and application of facts, or development of equipment making a distinct advancement in instrument technology. It shall evince the candidate’s capacity for critical examination and sound judgment and shall represent original 2 contribution to the existing knowledge.
Minimum Educational Qualification for Admission to Ph.D. Programme in Different Departments/Centres
Department of Biotechnology
i. Master’s degree in any disciplines of Science
ii. Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in medical sciences, engineering, pharmacy, veterinary and related disciplines.
iii. MD / MS in Ayurveda
Department of Chemistry
i. M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Chemistry/ Physics.
ii. M.Sc. in Bio-technology or M.Sc. in Biochemistry
Centre for Nanotechnology
(i) B.E. / B.Tech or M.E. / M.Tech. in Metallurgy / Chemical / Polymer / Mechanical / Biotechnology / Physics / Chemistry / Electronics / Electrical / Civil or equivalent
(ii) M.Sc. / M.S. (Science / Engineering) B. Pharm /M. Pharm.
- Application Fee per department (non-refundable): Rs. 200/- for General/Economically Weaker Sections (EWS)/OBC category and Rs. 100/- for SC/ST/PD category candidate. The candidates can deposit the requisite application fee by using net banking or debit/credit card facilities. Additional charges will be applicable as per the rule of the concerned bank. The Fee will not be accepted through any other mode.
If candidate opts for more than one department/centre, then application fee should be paid in accordance to the number of department/centre.
Course Fee Structure:
For details of course fee structure, please visit the following link: https://www.iitr.ac.in/academics/pages/Doctoral_Programmes.html
The fee will be charged each semester as per Institute rules/ norms applicable from time to time. Details can be obtained from Assistant Registrar (Evaluation) through mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Common Minimum Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. Admission:
An applicant belonging to the above category should possess the following minimum qualifications in appropriate areas to be eligible to apply for admission for the Ph.D. programme of the Institute.
- Master’s degree with minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.0 on a 10 point scale, or 60% marks for the General and OBC category. However, candidates with M.Sc / M.A / M. Com must, in addition, have either a valid GATE score or must have qualified JRF / NET. For SC / ST or PwD candidates the minimum CGPA requirements may be relaxed to 5.50 on a 10 point scale or to 55% marks.
- For candidates other than Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs), B.Tech / B.Arch / B.Pharm degree or equivalent with a valid GATE / GPAT score and a minimum CGPA of 7.50 on a 10 point scale or 75% marks, irrespective of the category. For graduates from CFTIs, the minimum CGPA requirement is relaxed to 7.0 on a 10 point scale or 70% marks.
- CGPA or percentage of marks in aggregate, in case marks are awarded, of all years / semesters will be considered. If the CGPA is awarded on a scale other than a 10 point scale, proportionate concession to a 10 point scale will be considered.
- The requirement of a valid GATE / GPAT / JRF / NET score is not applicable to candidates in ISERS or P-ISIRS or P-ISERS category.
- Bachelors and Masters from IITs with a CGPA 8.0 and above on 10 scale point scale are exempt from the requirement of GATE / GPAT / JRF /NET.
- Candidates pursuing Master’s programs in Engineering or Architecture / Planning in the IIT Roorkee have CGPA 8.50 and above, shall have a choice of lateral entry to the Ph.D. program after completing first two semesters of the Master’s program.
- GATE / GPAT / JRF / NET, if applicable, shall be valid at the time of registration.
- Candidates with MBBS / BDS degree from an Indian Universities / Institution shall have minimum CGPA of 6.0 on a 10 point scale, or 60% in the qualifying degree, irrespective of the category. They are exempt from the GATE / GPAT / JRF / NET requirement.
- Candidates with Master of Surgery (MS)/ Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree from a Indian University / Institute are exempt from the minimum CGPA as well as the GATE / GPAT / JRF / NET requirement.
- Candidates with a medicine degree from an overseas university / institute should have qualified the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination conducted by the National Board of Examination.
- Candidates with Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) / Person of Indian Origin (PIO) status will be treated at par with Indian Nationals in the General Category.
The candidates are advised to read each and every instruction given in this Information Brochure very carefully before applying Online.
- The prescribed qualifications and experience are the minimum required and the mere fact that a candidate possesses the same will not entitle him/her for being called for an interview.
- Departments / Centres of the Institute reserve the right to restrict the number of candidates to be called for interview to a reasonable number, on the basis of qualifications and/or experience.
- Provision exists to apply in one or more departments / centers. Accordingly, a candidate can submit his/her application in one or more departments through single online application.
- All entries should be carefully made while applying online. IIT Roorkee will not be responsible for wrong entries. Candidates shall be sole responsible for the correctness and authenticity of the information / documents provided in the online application.
- Eligibility of candidate with regard to qualification & experience shall be calculated / considered with reference to last date of the online application.
- Online application submitted by the candidates shall be considered final and binding. Requests for making correction in the online application shall not be entertained.
- Online application found incomplete in any form will be summarily rejected. No correspondence / communication will be entertained in this regard.
- The last date for submission of online application shall not be extended. Accordingly, no request shall be entertained for accepting the application after the last date. IIT Roorkee will not be responsible for technical error while making the online application / payment of fee. Therefore, candidates are advised to submit their application well in advance without waiting until the last date.
- Online applications will be scrutinized, relevant documents checked / verified for their authenticity.
- Admission will be offered subject to availability of seats, faculty in the Specialization and the Institute Assistantship.
- Students shall be governed by ordinance/ regulations in vogue.
- The Institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission for the candidate who is found admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the statues and regulations in force.
- Disputes if any, arising out of or relating to any matter whatsoever, concerning the aforesaid shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of Roorkee Court.
- The Institute reserves the right to verify the antecedents or documents submitted by the candidate at any time during their period of study. In case it is found that the documents submitted by the candidate are not genuine, then his/her admission shall be terminated, and disciplinary/criminal proceedings will be initiated.
- Merely applying for / being shortlisted / appearing for the interview / written test / or subsequent processes do not imply that a candidate will necessarily be offered admission in IITR. No request for considering the candidature other than in which applied will be entertained.
- Candidates are advised to fill their correct and active e-mail addresses in the online application as all correspondence will be made by the Institute through e-mail only. Test/Interview schedule will be emailed in due course to the candidates in their registered e-mail. No separate letter (Hard copy) will be sent for this purpose. Further, for any updates, please visit the Institute website regularly, for subsequent amendments in the advertisement and results.
- The candidates should ensure that they fulfill all the eligibility conditions as specified. Their admission will be purely provisional subject to confirmation that they satisfy the prescribed eligibility conditions. Mere issue of call letters to the candidates will not imply that his/her candidature has been found eligible.
- After joining, Hostel and mess facilities will be provided as per the availability.
|Start of Online Application (Website Open)||March 05, 2019|
|Last Date for submission of Online application (Website Closure)||March 25, 2019 (5:00 p.m.)|
Candidates are requested to apply online only. Hard copy of the application need not be submitted. Physical application will not be considered.