IISER Kolkata Doctor of Philosophy Programme
IISER Kolkata invites applications from motivated students for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programme for the Autumn 2019.
The selected candidates can do Ph.D. in any of the following disciplines: Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Earth Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics and Physical Sciences.
If you would like to enroll yourself into our vibrant PhD programme at Department of Biological Sciences and also at some other departments with interest in the interdisciplinary biological fields, please see the details below and act accordingly.
Applications are invited from motivated candidates having master’s degree such as M.Sc/ MS/ ME/ M.Tech/ MVSc/ MSc(Ag) degree or equivalent (with minimum 55% marks) in:
- Any branch of biological sciences to pursue research in the broad fields of cellular and molecular biology, cancer biology, developmental biology, structural biology, chemical biology, plant biology, plant molecular and developmental biology, plant genetics, plant tissue culture, behavioral biology and ecology, genetics, epigenetics and gene regulation, marine biology, neurobiology, molecular immunology, host pathogen interaction, biodiversity, microbiology, biophysics, bioinformatics, biotechnology, food technology and theoretical biology. Candidates from agricultural science (such as genetics and plant breeding) and nutritional science backgrounds are also encouraged to apply.
- Chemistry / physics / statistics / mathematics / computer application / computer science to pursue research in the interdisciplinary research areas as specified in the table below:
|Interdisciplinary Research Area||Preferred background of the student from other areas|
|Gene regulatory networks using plant signaling and genomics||Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Statistics, Computer Application, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Analytical Chemistry|
|Structural biology, cryo-Electron Microscopy, Image processing, molecular modeling, MD simulations, biomolecular NMR, biophysics||Biophysics/ Biochemistry/ Biotechnology/ Physics/ Chemistry/ Computer Science|
|Peptide based therapeutics, cancer nanomedicine, drug delivery, biomimetic chemistry, chemical biology, supramolecular chemistry, applied biomaterials, cancer biology, and regenerative nanomedicine.||Chemistry having specialization in organic chemistry or MSc with MSc project in the area of organic chemistry|
|Neurobiology||Neuro-immunology, Neural stem cell neology, Neuro-Virology, Neuropathology, Neuro-Computational Modelling, Neuro-Structural Biology, Neuro-oncology|
|Mechano-biology employing fluorescence imaging, interference reflection microscopy, PDMS based cell stretching, micro patterning, optical trapping, traction force microscopy, image/data Analysis||Physics/ Biophysics/ Chemistry/ Biochemistry/ Chemical Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Computer Science|
|Computational Biology||A Master’s degree, with minimum 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale, in any field of Applied Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Bio-technology, Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Statistics|
|Theoretical Biophysics||MS/ MSc/ M.Tech degree in physics/ chemistry/ applied mathematics/ computer science with 55% marks or CGPA/ CPI of 6.00/10|
Candidates funded through a valid fellowship like UGC/CSIR-NET JRF, DBT-JRF, ICMR-JRF, BINC, INSPIRE or other equivalent fellowships are strongly encouraged to apply.
In addition, multiple institute and project funded fellowships are available: See below for details
Institute funded PhD student(s)
1. One institute funded PhD fellowship is available for students interested to work in the field of Stem Cell Biology.
Qualification: MS/M.Sc/M.Tech in Life Sciences/Biochemistry/ Biotechnology/Physiology with minimum 60% marks. Candidate must have qualified NET-LS/JGEEBILS/GATE. Desirable: A keen interest in cell biology and microscopy; working experience in wet lab/ cell culture/molecular biology techniques. Candidates should clearly mention their area of interest in their SOP.
2. One institute funded PhD fellowship is available for students who are interested in theoretical modeling of biological phenomena in collaboration with experimentalists. In particular, the topics of research will include mathematical modeling of collective cell motion, stochastic gene expression, intercellular transport etc.
Qualifications: MS/MSc/M.Tech degree in physics/applied mathematics/computer science with 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.00/10. Experience of coding in C/C++/FORTRAN will be a plus point.
* Please note that fulfilling the minimum essential criteria does not ensure that a candidate will be called for the interview. Additional short-listing criteria might be set by the department based on academic records, experience and research interest of the candidates.
The profiles of the faculty members of the department can found in the following URL: Click Here
PhD application portal opens: 03.03.2019
Application portal closes: 14.04.2019
Publication of shortlist for interview: 24.04.2019
Tentative Interview dates: 15 May to 31 May 2019
Publication of PhD interview results: 06 Jun 2019
Preregistration portal opens: 10 Jun 2019
Preregistration deadline: 10.07.2019
PhD Registration: 26.07.2019
For any additional query email us at:
Dept. of Biological Sciences – dbs.phd.application AT iiserkol.ac.in
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.