Admission to Ph.D. Programme-July-2019
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Berhampur invites applications from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. programme starting from July 2019. Currently, IISER Berhampur offers Ph.D. programme in Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, and Physical Sciences disciplines.
Students with a Master’s degree or equivalent in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics OR in any relevant interdisciplinary area closely related to the main stream are encouraged to apply for Ph.D. programme.
Ph.D. students must successfully complete course work, qualifying examination, seminars, and a dissertation. Besides the mandatory requirements, students are encouraged to participate in several professional activities such as workshops, review meetings and conferences. All doctoral students are also expected to participate in the undergraduate teaching programme of the Institute as a part of their training.
Please note that the precise eligibility criteria for July 2019 admissions may vary from department to department which are given below. A glimpse of the research areas open for admission are provided below and further information about individual faculty profiles and areas of research can be obtained from the IISER Berhampur website. Prospective students satisfying the eligibility criteria are encouraged to acquaint themselves with the research areas of our faculty members for suitable match of interest.
Broad Area Of Research:
Life-history evolution, Sexual selection and sexual conflict, Fungal Molecular Genetics, Circadian Rhythms, Plant-Environment Interaction, Developmental Biology, Stress Physiology
For more information please visit individual faculty profile.
- M.Sc./M.Tech. Degree in the relevant discipline with a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA/CPI of 7.0 on a 10 point scale. (Overall percentage/CGPA/CPI; not only in majoring subject)
- If the transcript/grade sheet issued by the Institute/University reports:
- Only marks, percentage will be considered.
- Only grades, CGPA/CPI will be considered. If CGPA/CPI is reported on any scale other than 10 (eg. 4 point/ 8 point scale), an equivalent CGPA/CPI will be calculated as per the following formula:
CGPA/CPI in a 10 point scale = (CGPA/CPI Obtained×10)/PS
PS = Point scale used by the Institute/University.
- Both marks and CGPA/CPI
- Percentage equivalent of CGPA/CPI, as indicated on the transcript/gradesheet, will be considered, if absolute grading was followed.
- CGPA/CPI ONLY will be considered, if relative grading was followed.
- Exceptionally brilliant candidates with B.Tech./MBBS/MCA also apply for Ph.D. programme in Biological Sciences.
- Additionally, a National level examination like National Eligibility Test (NET)/GATE/UGC-JRF/CSIR-JRF/DBT (JRF A category)/ICMR (JRF category I)/NET-LS/INSPIRE-PhD/JGEEBILS or any other recognized score is mandatory. The certificate/fellowship MUST be valid at the time of admission.
- Students whose results for CSIR-UGC NET Fellowship or ICMR-JRF category-I or DBT-JRF or INSPIRE-PhD or any other equivalent fellowship are awaited may also apply with their roll number(s) mentioned in the application. Such candidates may walk-in for the interview provided they have qualified examination for any of the above fellowship before the interview date. Such candidates will not be sent a call letter for the interview. However, they should write to the head of the department, Department of Biological Sciences at email@example.com (with a CC to firstname.lastname@example.org) and inform if they will attend the interview.
- Candidates who are appearing or are about to appear for final examinations of the qualifying degree programme are eligible to apply for Ph.D. programme. However, if selected, admission to the Ph.D. programme would be conditional upon their completing the qualifying degree with the defined marks criteria.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, will be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PD categories.
- Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview.
Instructions to fill Application Form
Please download and save the form on your computer, and then open it directly in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader and select/type the information in the boxes provided and click save to store the information.
NOTE : OPENING OF DOWNLOADED APPLICATION FORM IN ADOBE READER IS MUST TO UPLOAD PHOTO AND ACCESSES OTHER INTERACTIVE FIELDS. DO NOT FILL ANYTHING ON ONLINE LINK.
Acrobat or Acrobat Reader free Download (Click here)
- This is an editable PDF form, please download the form, and open with Adobe Reader and select/type the information in the boxes provided and click save to store the information.
- If you are applying in more than one discipline, separate application must be filled and sent for each discipline.
- Complete application along with all certificates/enclosures (preferably in single consolidated .pdf file) must be sent to the email id: email@example.com
- Please write “APPLICATION FOR Ph.D. IN (DEPARTMENT NAME)” in your subject area of email. For example, if you are applying to the Ph.D. programme in Physics, please write “Application for Ph.D. in PHYSICS”.
- After the last date, all applications will be screened and candidates shortlisted for interviews will be intimated by email and same will be available on the institute website.
- Only shortlisted candidates called for interview need to bring recommendation letters in sealed envelopes, superscribed with “Letter of Recommendation for <Applicant’s Name> to Ph.D. Program in <Discipline Name >”. Letter of recommendation not in a sealed envelope will not be accepted.
- All communication with candidates will be done by e-mail only.
- Kindly check this website for periodic updates.
- Candidates who are appearing or are about to appear for final examinations of the qualifying degree programme are eligible to apply for Ph.D. programme. However, if selected, admission to the Ph.D. programme would be conditional upon their completing the qualifying degree with the defined marks criteria, before July 31, 2019.
- Selection will be based on interviews of the short-listed candidates. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview. Date of interview will be communicated to shortlisted candidates by e-mail and the same will be available on the Institute website. TA will be paid to SC/ST candidates appearing for the interview as per Govt. of India norms.
- Reservation will be applied according to Govt. of India norms. Relaxation of eligibility criteria for SC/ST and PD applicants will be as per Government of India norms. Candidates belonging to reserved category will have to submit relevant certificates, if selected.
- Applying does not automatically guarantee that a candidate will be shortlisted for interview. The respective departments may use additional criteria (based on academic performance and/or performance in the national level tests) in order to shortlist candidates for interviews depending on the number of applications received.
- Applicant’s age should not exceed more than 28 years at the time of joining. Age relaxation of 3 years will be given for OBC (Non Creamy Layer) and 5 years for SC/ST/PD/Female applicants.
- All selected candidates will be eligible for either Institute fellowship of Rs. 31,000/- per month or fellowship as per the norms of the funding agency, in vogue, subject to satisfactory performance in their course work.
In case of any application-related queries, please contact the respective departments (with a CC to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Biology: email@example.com
|Last Date for receiving applications||April 30, 2019|
|Interview Dates (Tentative)||To be declared soon|
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.