CAS-TWAS President’s PhD Fellowship Programme 2019
This CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme provides students/scholars that are non-Chinese citizens an opportunity to pursue doctoral degrees at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or Institutes of CAS around China.
Under the terms of the CAS-TWAS agreement, travel from their home countries to China will be provided to the fellowship awardees in order to begin the fellowship in China (one trip only per student/scholar). TWAS will select 80 awardees from developing countries to support their international travel, while CAS will support the other 120. Visa fee will also be covered (once only per awardee) as a lump sum of USD 65 after all the awardees are on site in China. Any awardee on site in China, the host country, at the time of application will NOT be eligible for any travel or visa reimbursement.
Eligible nationalities: Any country
Duration: Up to 4 years
02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
Fellowship awardees will receive a monthly stipend (to cover accommodation and other living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7,000 or RMB 8,000 from CAS through UCAS/USTC, depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by UCAS/USTC for all doctoral candidates after admission. All awardees will also be provided tuition and application fee waivers.
General conditions for applicants:
- Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2019;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship;
- Not hold Chinese citizenship;
- Applicants for doctoral study should also:
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC (criteria of UCAS/criteria of USTC).
- Hold a master degree before the beginning of the fall semester: 1 September 2019.
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to the CAS-TWAS agreement.
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language.
FILE YOUR FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION FORM VIA THE ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM
A. Visit our official website for the fellowship online application system.
Create your own account, and follow the instructions to finish the online application form.
B. Prepare and upload the following supporting documentation to the fellowship online application system:
- Your regular passport which has at least 2 years validity (only pages showing personal and validity details are needed);
- Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
- Original copy of the certificate of university degrees held (both undergraduate and postgraduate; graduates having just completed or about to complete their degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date);
- Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese;
- Original copy of transcripts of both undergraduate and post-graduate education;
- Detailed research proposal;
- Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers;
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Attachment 1– find this at the bottom of this page)
C. Acquire TWO reference letters:
You must ask two referees (NOT the host supervisor, preferably TWAS members, but not a mandatory requirement) familiar with you and your work to
- Upload their scanned reference letters (signed, dated and on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address) to the fellowship online application system and
- Send the original hard copies to the UCAS/USTC fellowship office beforethe deadline.
Reference letters in the body of e-mails will NOT be accepted! TWAS will not provide any information e.g. e-mail addresses of TWAS members or liaise with TWAS members on behalf of applicants.