CCMB Summer Program-2019
The training program is open to students from all branches of sciences and open to all Indian Universities/Research Institutes.
- M.Sc. Program: Students admitted in the year 2018 and will complete their 1st year in June/July 2019.
- 4 Year B.Tech. Program: Students admitted in the year 2016 and will complete their 6th Semester in June/July 2019.
- 5-year Integrated B.Tech.-M.Tech. or MBBS course: Students admitted in the year 2015 and will complete their 8th Semester in June/July 2019; MBBS students in any year of their study can apply.
M. Tech. students are not eligible.
Computer science students with flair for biology may also apply.
It is not a conventional classroom lectures based training program. Instead, each selected candidate/trainee will be assigned to a CCMB staff scientist who will supervise/mentor him/her during the stay. Each student is expected to execute a small project work under the guidance of the scientist. At the end of the program, student will need to submit a ‘Project Report’ of the work done, and also would be required to make an oral presentation.
The program is mainly intended to give students a real-time exposure/hands-on experience to a research environment, in the hope that it would inculcate in them a zeal for research as a future career.
Although, efforts are made to take into consideration the ‘statement of purpose’/research interest of the selected students (while assigning to different Scientists), but it is generally not possible in many cases; as the allotments are mainly based on the availability of working place(s) in different labs and not the other way around.
Therefore, only those students should apply for the training program who are ready to work in any laboratory of CCMB, if selected, irrespective of his/her stated research interest.
Application for the Summer Program 2019 can be downloaded (Zipped pdf file). Completed application (Hard copy) for the program MUST reach CCMB by 07/02/2019. The names of the Selected candidates will be made available on CCMB homepage during the middle of March 2019 (around 15/3/2019); here, it may be noted that no separate intimation would be sent to any candidate, and thus all applicants must look for his/her name in the ‘selection list’ on the CCMB homepage only.
A committee nominated by the Director, CCMB, selects the trainees. One of the major criteria used in selection is that the selected candidates should represent the Nation-wide coverage of different Indian states (based on the location of their academic institutions, but independent of their birthplace, sex, caste or religion). ‘Statement of purpose’ and the ‘Recommendation/reference Letter’ are other important considerations in the selection of candidates along with the academic record. A few seats (~5%) are reserved, each for the children of serving CCMB employees, and for candidates selected by the AcSIR.
The number of trainees’ intake varies between 50 – 60 candidates and mainly depends upon the availability of bench space with different staff scientists of CCMB. On an average, we receive ~1500 applications, of which only 3 – 4% candidates make it to the program.
The program is for the duration of 60 days (~eight weeks) in the months of May-July 2019.
- Last date for receipt of Application in CCMB: 07 February 2019
- List of the selected candidates on CCMB homepage: Middle of March 2019
(There will NOT be any separate letter of intimation to the selected candidates)
Last date for selected candidates to inform their:
Acceptance to CCMB/Program Coordinator: 30 March 2019
Tentative date to join CCMB/the program: 20th May – 3rd Jun 2019
(No candidate will be allowed to join after 3rd June under any circumstance)
CCMB will not provide any financial support for boarding/ lodging. All the selected candidates are required to self-finance their stay in CCMB/Hyderabad. The candidates are expected to make their own arrangement for stay in Hyderabad during the training period, though CCMB may consider specific requests only from outstation students, especially girl students for shared accommodation in CCMB housing facility depending upon the availability of vacant flats/space.
Important points to note
- As is evident from our experience in earlier years, the competition is very high for the few available seats with an average chance of selection being only 3 – 4%.
- Applications for Summer Program 2019 MUST be submitted as a hard copy. The application incomplete in any respect will be rejected/not considered.
- Requests/applications for the program sent prior to this notification will not be considered. Any such candidate must apply again using the prescribed application form.
- There is no FEE for the training program, but all selected candidates have to bear their boarding/lodging expenditure during the 60-day stay at CCMB.
- The decision of the Selection committee about the selection of candidates shall be final.
- Canvassing in any form and/or bringing in any influence, political or otherwise, will be treated as a disqualification.
- Selected candidates are expected to have cleared their final exams (1st year in case of M.Sc. students, 6th semester in case of B.Tech. students and 8th semester in case of 5-year Integrated B.Tech- M.Tech. students) before joining the program and thus are required to bring the documentary proof for the same. On the other hand, for students, whose results may be awaited at that time, students would need to provide a certificate from their college certifying that – the student has appeared for the final exams, and that the results are yet to be declared.
- All candidates selected for the program will need to spend a minimum period of 60 days in CCMB without any break.
- This is one of the most important requirements and accordingly, all candidates need to furnish a certificate from their Head of the Department/Competent authority of the college/institute to this effect (see the Application form for instructions).
Mailing address for application:
Summer Program 2019
Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology (CCMB)
Please mention on top of the envelope “Application for Summer Training 2019”
It may be noted that the CCMB will not be responsible for any omission of name from the list of applicants that may result from ‘Loss and/or Delayed receipt’ of applications due to postal mishandling/ loss/ delay.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org