HDR Scholarship – Research Training Program Scholarship (RTP) / Deakin University Postgraduate Research Scholarship (DUPR)
The RTP scholarships (previously APA) are funded by the Australian Government, while the DUPR scholarships are funded by Deakin University. Both awards are available to domestic and international students. Only top-ranked applicants will be offered an RTP.
Benefits and Duration
Stipend and Allowances Value (Terms and Conditions apply)
- A stipend of $27,082 per annum tax exempt (2018 rate) or $27,596 per annum tax exempt (2019 rate)
- A relocation allowance from $500 to $1,500 awarded to students who are moving from interstate or overseas in order to study at Deakin
- For international students only: overseas health coverage for the duration of the tuition fees offset
Doctoral Degree Duration
- 3 years for stipend and 4 years for the tuition fees offset
Research Master Degree Duration
- 2 years for stipend and 2 years for the tuition fees offset
- To be eligible for an RTP Stipend, RTP Fees Offset, RTP Allowance or DUPRS a student must be a domestic or international student enrolled in an HDR course of study at Deakin University
- To be eligible for an RTP Fees Offset an applicant must not be receiving an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth designed to offset HDR fees
- To be eligible for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend a student must not be receiving income from another source to support that student’s general living costs while undertaking their course of study if that income is greater than 75 per cent of that student’s RTP or DUPRS Stipend rate. Income unrelated to the student’s course of study or income received for the student’s course of study but not for the purposes of supporting general living costs is not to be taken into account.
- Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for information on admission requirements to a HDR course at Deakin University.
- Terms and conditions for each scholarship are detailed in the Further Information section below. For information about our RTP Scholarship Policy please refer to the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Scholarships Procedure.
- RTP and DUPRS Stipends will be awarded to students as the result of a competitive process outlined in the ranking guidelines as below.
- Students receiving an RTP or DUPRS Stipend will be enrolled as on-campus full-time students.
- Applicants for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend must have completed at least four years of tertiary education studies and achieved a first class Honours degree or equivalent level of academic achievement as approved by Deakin, and meet all other minimum entry requirements according to the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Admission, Selection and Enrolment Procedure. Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for more information.
- Current students can apply for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend and will be assessed by the Faculty/Institute. Current students may not apply after they have completed more than 3 years of their doctoral course or 2 years of their masters course (or part-time equivalent).
- For information about the RTP Fees Offset selection process and the offer process for all scholarships please refer to the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Scholarships Procedure.
How to apply – research degrees
Deakin has a streamlined process for applying for a higher degree by research. You need to apply via the online Higher Degree by Research Application Form. You’ll be required to attach a number of certified supporting documents, in addition to your research proposal and referee reports.
Research degree candidature applications are accepted throughout the year. Some faculties/institutes require an Expression of Interest form to be submitted or that they be contacted prior to submitting a full application via the online Higher Degree by Research Application Form. These faculties/institutes are listed below with the relevant form or advice. Applications to other areas can be submitted directly via the online Higher Degree by Research Application Form at any time.
Candidature and Scholarship
The process and opening/closing dates for scholarship applications are different for each faculty/institute. Some faculties/institutes require an Expression of Interest form to be submitted prior to submitting a full application via the online Higher Degree by Research Application Form. The dates may vary depending on whether you are applying as a domestic or international applicant.
For more information please email the Graduate Research Academy