Admission to the THSTI-JNU Ph.D. Program for the Academic Year 2018-2019-Winter Session
Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI) is a recognized R&D institute of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. The THSTI-JNU Ph.D. program is designed for biomedical and clinical research for candidates with medical, life sciences (including biomedical, health, pharmaceutical, nutritional science, public health, and nursing), veterinary science, engineering, or mathematics background.
The broad domains of ongoing research at THSTI are:
- Vaccines and infectious diseases
- Translational research in maternal and child health
- Drug discovery and mathematical modeling to understand disease biology
- Human microbial ecology
- Diagnostics, devices and biodesign
Students selected for the program are required to undergo Ph.D. Coursework followed by completion of research ending with the submission of a thesis dissertation. This Ph.D. program is governed by rules of JNU.
Please visit the THSTI website (www.thsti.res.in) for details of ongoing research programs and the Ph.D. coursework. The Ph.D. program at THSTI is governed by JNU rules. For further details please visit www.jnu.ac.in.
Eligibility: The candidate must fulfill one of the following criteria:
- Group A: must have qualified in the junior research fellowship examination of CSIR, UGC, ICMR, DBT (category I only), BINC (for bioinformatics & computer science) or NBHM which provides fellowship for the entire duration (5 years) of their Ph.D. program.Should have a Master’s degree in any branch of biomedical/life sciences (including veterinary science, public health), bioinformatics, computer science or Mathematics from a recognized university with at least 55% marks or its equivalent (e.g.: grade B in the UGC 7-point scale) or a B Tech in Biotechnology.
- Group B:
BE/B Tech (Computer Science) with a valid GATE qualifying score
MSc – Mathematics
Candidates appearing in the final qualifying examination may also apply. However, they will be required to fulfill the above academic/ fellowship requirements at the time of joining the Ph.D. program.
A relaxation in marks/grade during Master’s Degree for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and any other categories will be applicable as per the UGC notification, 5th May 2016 or subsequent notification in effect of at the time of interview.
Candidates fulfilling the above requirements must apply online. Please take a print out of the application, sign and send it to the Officer (Academics) of the institute at the above address along with the application fee and self-attested copies of documents in support of eligibility so as to reach by 10th November 2018.
Applications received after the closing date will not be entertained on any ground including postal delay. Incomplete applications in any respect will be summarily rejected and no correspondence in this regard will be entertained.
Non-refundable application fee of Rs. 500 for General and OBC candidates, and Rs. 250 for SC/ST/differently-abled candidates should be paid by bank draft in favor of Translational Health Science and Technology Institute payable at Faridabad. You may also deposit the fees by bank transfer as per the payee account details given below and may submit the proof of remittance.
Payee name: Translational Health Science and Technology Institute
Payee Bank: State Bank of India, Faridabad Main Branch, Neelam Chowk NIT, Faridabad-121001
Account no.: 32497747957 IFSC Code: SBIN0000734
- Names of shortlisted candidates will be announced on our website by 17th November.
- Shortlisted candidates will have to appear for an admission test at THSTI on the 3 rd of December at 9:30 am.
- Applicants who clear the admission test will be interviewed on 3 rd and 4 th December 2018.
- Final selection will be made based on the applicant’s performance in the interview and the list of selected candidates will be published on the THSTI website within one working week of the interview.
- Selected candidates should interact with potential Ph.D. supervisors and provide their choice of supervisors for lab rotations by 4 PM on 24th December 2018.
Students from group A recommended for admission to the Ph.D. program and holding fellowship from any of the above agencies will be required to utilize their own fellowship. Candidates with professional degrees (Group B) selected through the admission process will be awarded THSTI fellowships equivalent to the CSIR-UGC Fellowship amount.
No. of seats:
A total of up to 15 candidates may be selected this year if found suitable. The number of selected candidates may be less if sufficient candidates do not secure the minimum credentials required for admission.
27% seats for OBC (non-creamy layer), 15% of seats for SC, 7.5% of seats for ST, and 3% of seats for differently-abled are reserved for candidates belonging to these categories. SC/ST/OBC candidates are required to submit certificates in respect of their claims from authorized officers as notified by the Government for the purpose from time to time. The differently-abled (with minimum 40% disability) candidates are required to submit a certificate from authorized Medical Doctors/Hospitals indicating the extent of physical disability.
Selected students will undergo Ph.D. coursework for 2 semesters starting on 1 st January 2019. Those having successfully completed the PhD course requirement will be recommended by the Academic Committee to JNU for PhD registration. For the award of the doctoral degree, the candidate will have to complete all requirements as per the JNU rules.
Admission fees, annual fees, registration fees or any other fees levied by JNU shall be payable by the student.
Selected students will have the option of shared hostel accommodation in lieu of their HRA.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.