Online Application for the Admission to Ph.D. Programme
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting January 2019.
Last date of receipt of the application form 31st Oct 2018
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Master’s degree (A five-year degree after +2 level) in Biological Sciences/Chemical Sciences/Physical Sciences/Mathematics/Bioinformatics/Agricultural Sciences/Veterinary Sciences or a Bachelor Degree in Medicine (MBBS). The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on 1st January 2019.
- The applicant must have a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10 or equivalent. According to your mark list if your CGPA is not calculated on a scale of 10, please convert the CGPA to a scale of 10 and enter in the space provided. Please mention this in the remarks column [See point-1 under the heading “Important Points” below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- Qualification in one or more of the following national level tests with validity as on 1st January 2019: CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF (Category I)*/ ICMR-JRF*/ Ranks 1 to 90 in GATE (Ecology and Evolution)**/JGEEBILS (GS-2018)***. Or the candidate should be eligible for DST-Inspire Ph.D. Fellowship [See point-2 under the heading “Important Points” below for INSPIRE Ph. D Fellowship].
* Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to avail Category 1 DBT-Junior Research Fellowships tenable at any university/institution in India. Fellowships restricted to join DBT or ICMR sponsored projects are not eligible.
** GATE (EY) qualified candidates are eligible only for Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour. GATE exam scores for other subjects will not be considered for Ph.D. admissions to the School of Biology at IISER-TVM.
*** Candidates who appeared for the JGEEBILS 2018 test are eligible to apply. JGEEBILS candidates will be shortlisted based on the marks provided by the JGEEBILS examination organizers.
It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit a short research proposal of 300-400 words, which should clearly state a research problem you find interesting to address and how you approach towards solving this. While applying online, please upload this proposal under the section “Statement of Purpose”. Please note: the proposal does not need to be related to the research ongoing at the School of Biology, IISER-TVM. The proposal will be used to evaluate your scientific aptitude and will be a major criterion for short-listing candidates for the interview. Your application will be treated as incomplete if you do not submit the short research proposal.
Short-listed candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM. There will be two rounds of interviews, conducted over three days. In case of a high turnout of candidates, an entrance exam will be conducted (based on Master’s level Biology questions for 70% marks and 12th level Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry questions-together 30%) on the first day of interviews. Hence, all the short-listed candidates must report at IISER-TVM on the first day of the interviews. The final selection of candidates will solely be based on the performance during the interviews.
Research Areas in the School of Biology open for Ph.D. students in this round of selection:
- Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Structural Molecular Biology
- Ecology, Evolution and Behavior
- Developmental Biology
- Genetics and genomics
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria.
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in Chemical Sciences with 60% marks or equivalent [See point-1 under the heading “Important Points” below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- The candidate must have qualified either of CSIR-JRF/UGC-JRF/GATE examinations valid as on January 2019 or DST INSPIRE Ph.D. fellowship [See point-2 under the heading “Important Points” below for INSPIRE Ph.D. fellowship].
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview.
Research Topic / Area
- Main Group Chemistry
- Macrocycles/ Planar Antiaromatic and Extended pi-conjugated systems
- Bioinspired Coordination and Organometallic Chemistry
- Inorganic-organic hybrid, Metal Nanocluster, catalysis
- Development of New Synthetic Strategies, C–H Activation/Functionalizations and Asymmetric Catalysis
- Total Synthesis of Natural Product Molecules, Asymmetric Catalysis and development of new methodologies, Medicinal Chemistry
- Organic synthesis, Asymmetric catalysis, Natural product synthesis, Cross-coupling reactions,
- Supramolecular Chemistry/DNA Nanotechnology/Organic Synthesis
- Supramolecular Chemistry/Organic Synthesis/Chemical Biology
- Photochemistry and Photophysics
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy, Photophysics and Photochemistry, Physical Organic Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry
- Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria
- Master’s degree in Physics, Materials Science, and Engineering in areas closely related to the interests of the Physics faculty at IISER TVM. 60% marks or equivalent is required.
- Qualifying in one of the following national level examination with validity as on 1st January 2019: GATE/CSIR-UGC-JRF/UGC NET-JRF/JEST-2018/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship.
Positions are open in the following research areas:
- Graphene-based Nanostructures
- Wide bandgap semiconductor devices
- Organic/perovskite photovoltaics and field effect transistors
- Quantum transport in nanoscale devices
- THz spectroscopy/2D layered materials
- Nonlinear Optics and Photonics
- Superconductivity and quantum phase transitions
- Normal relaxation to the eligibility criteria will be applicable as per government of India guidelines.
- Candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for obtaining INSPIRE Ph.D. fellowship as per the DST guidelines can also apply. In the event of shortlisting, and successful clearing of the interview, the candidate shall be provisionally admitted for the Ph.D. program. The admission shall be canceled if the candidate is unable to provide evidence for INSPIRE Ph.D. fellowship at the time of registration.
- Applicants should complete the online application form in the URL http://appserv.iisertvm.ac.in/phd
[Only Properly submitted applications would be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not forget to click the “submit” button after completing your application]
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, signature, community certificate and national level examination (CSIR/NBHM/Inspire etc.) online.
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of two referees in the application form.
- GE/OBC [SC/ST/PH] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 500/- [Rs. 250/-] as processing fee through thehttps://www.onlinesbi.com/prelogin/icollecthome.htm
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique application number.
- Applicants are NOT required to post a hard copy of the application to IISER-TVM.
- In case of any application related queries, please contact by email, addressed to the Ph.D. coordinator [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Other modes of communication will not be entertained.
- Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.