Applications are invited for admission to Ph.D. programme in Biological Sciences for the semester commencing from January 2019.
Department of Biological Sciences offers research in the areas of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Cancer Biology, Epigenetics, Plant Cell and Developmental Biology, Metagenomics, Systems Biology, Ecology, Evolution and Molecular Systematics.
- M.Sc./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in the relevant discipline with a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA/CPI of 7.0 on a 10 point scale (overall percentage/CGPA/CPI; not just in the majoring subject). Students with M.Sc./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in a branch of Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics can also apply provided they have an aptitude for research in Biological Sciences
If the transcript/grade sheet issued by the Institute/University reports:
- Only marks: percentage will be considered
- Only grades: CGPA/CPI will be considered. If CGPA/CPI is reported on any scale other than 10 (eg. 4 point/ 8 point scale), an equivalent CGPA/CPI will be calculated as per the following formula: CGPA/CPI in a 10 point scale = (CGPA/CPI Obtained×10)/PS PS = Point scale used by the Institute/University .
- Both marks and CGPA/CPI: Percentage equivalent of CGPA/CPI, as indicated on the transcript/grade sheet, will be considered. The conversion factor must be available in the transcript/grade sheet.
- Exceptionally brilliant candidates with B.Tech./MBBS/MCA can also apply for the PhD program in Biological Sciences.
- Additionally, a National level examination such as GATE / CSIR-UGC-JRF / DBT-JRF (category I only) / ICMR-JRF (category A only) / CSIR-UGC-LS / Provisional letter of INSPIRE-JRF for PhD / Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship or any other recognized score is mandatory. The certificate/fellowship MUST be valid at the time of admission. Please note that the National level examination criteria is NOT mandatory for the students who have completed their BS-MS degree with CPI 8.0 and above from any of the IISER (Berhampur, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram, Tirupati).
A relaxation of 5% of marks will be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PD categories.
Merely fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the interview.
- To submit the Online Ph.D. Application for Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Economic Sciences, please Click here.
- To submit the Online Ph.D. Application for Humanities and Social Sciences, please Click here.
- To submit the Online Ph.D. Application for Physics, please Click here.
- The last date for submission of online application is October 15, 2018
- Please retain a print out of the PDF of the online application form submitted by you.
- The following documents must be brought on the day of the interview, if shortlisted and called for interview.
- Signed hard-copy of PDF of the online application form with recent color photograph affixed on it.
- Self-attested relevant certificates (listed in the PDF copy of online application form).
- After the last date, all applications will be screened and candidates selected for interviews will be intimated by email only.
- To download the format of Recommendation Letter, please Click here.
- All communication with candidates will be by e-mail only. No phone calls will be entertained.
- Kindly check the website for periodic updates.
- In case of any application-related queries, your application number must be mentioned in the subject line.
- Candidates who are appearing or are about to appear for final examinations of the qualifying degree program are eligible to apply for Ph.D. program. However, if selected, admission to the Ph.D. program would be conditional upon their completing the qualifying degree with the defined marks criteria, at the time of joining.
- Selection will be based on interviews of the shortlisted candidates, which will be conducted in the Institute premises only.
- Relaxation of eligibility criteria for SC/ST and PD applicants will be as per Government of India norms. Candidates belonging to reserved category will have to submit relevant certificates if selected.
- Applying and meeting the minimum eligibility criteria does not automatically guarantee that a candidate will be shortlisted for interview. The Department of Biological Sciences will use additional criteria (based on academic performance and/or performance in the national level tests) in order to shortlist candidates for interviews depending on the number of applications received.
- Candidates at the time of interview should bring with them at least one letter of recommendation in a sealed envelope. Alternately, the recommendation letter can be directly mailed by the referee(s) to email@example.com before the interview date.
The selection procedure for admission to the Ph.D. programme will be based on the performance of the candidate in the interviews which will be conducted in two rounds (Rounds I and II). Candidates shortlisted from Round I, will have the option to interact with faculty members in the department following which Round II of the interviews will be conducted for the final selection. During the interviews, the candidate will be evaluated for their conceptual knowledge and the research aptitude in the field of Biological Sciences.
- October 29, 2018 (Monday): Announcement of Shortlisted Candidates for the Interview.
- December 5 – 6, 2018 (Wednesday – Thursday): Interview of Shortlisted Candidates.
- December 7, 2018 (Friday): Announcement of Interview Results.
- December 27, 2018 (Thursday): Registration for the Ph.D. Programme.
Department of Biological Sciences
Dr. Sunando Datta
Head, Department of Biological Sciences
Dr. Vikas Jain
Convener, Ph.D. Admissions Committee
Convener, Departmental Post-Graduate Committee
Queries will be entertained on the above-mentioned e-mail only. No phone calls will be entertained.