Biozentrum Ph.D. Fellowships Program
The Biozentrum encourages talented, ambitious and highly motivated young scientists from all over the world to apply for the prestigious and sought-after fellowships offered by the Biozentrum Basel International Ph.D. Program. In contrast to many other Ph.D. student programs that aim at a broad recruitment of many candidates, the “Biozentrum PhD Fellowships” are awarded on a competitive basis to a maximum of 10 successful candidates per open call.
Recipients are offered a unique rotation-based selection of a research group of choice and a number of other incentives that foster the scientific excellence and the career prospects of these Ph.D. candidates.
Application and selection procedure
The prestigious Ph.D. fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis. Shortlisted candidates are invited to the Biozentrum for a week of interviews with group leaders and other opportunities to interact and get to know the Biozentrum.
You must either already hold or expect to soon receive a university degree that qualifies you for a Ph.D. program at the University of Basel (MSc, Diploma, etc.). In exceptional cases, outstanding students with a BSc degree (eg. USA, Canada, Singapore) are also eligible to apply to the fellowships program; they, however, will have to pass additional courses at the Biozentrum after acceptance. If you have already enrolled at the Biozentrum or plan to start your Ph.D. thesis before September 1, or respectively March 1, of the same year as the open call, you are no longer eligible to apply.
Winter calls starts on September 1. Please submit your application online.
Your application must include:
- electronic copies of your diploma/MSc degree with grades and transcripts as pdf files
- CV or scientific résumé (maximum one page, pdf format)
- names and contact information of 2 referees from your previous academic environment (usually faculty members) The referees will be contacted automatically and will be asked for an online evaluation as well as a reference letter.
You will get further information about the application procedure as soon as you have submitted your application.
|Important dates for the next calls||Winter Call|
|Start of online applications:||September 1|
|Closing date for applications:||December 15|
|Notification of shortlisted candidates:||mid-January|
|Interview days:||February 11 – 15|
|Decision of acceptance:||March|
|Possible start of rotations/thesis:||1.3.2019-1.9.2019|
- After the closing date for the open call, applications will be evaluated by all group leaders of the Biozentrum.
- Based on the feedback from their peers, the Program Committee will shortlist 20-30 candidates who will be invited to the Biozentrum for an interview week (travel and accommodation provided by the fellowship program).
- To organize your individual interviews and lab visits during the interview week, you will be asked to indicate 8 to 10 group leaders.
- You will also present your research in a 10-minute presentation and 10-minute question and answer seminar to the Program Committee and other interested group leaders.
- A chaperone – a Ph.D. from the fellowships − will be your personal guide during these days, tell you about being a Ph.D. at the Biozentrum and be happy to answer your questions.
- Two dinners with group leaders and the chaperones, an informal meeting with the Ph.D. Club and a cultural visit to Basel will give you a good insight into Basel and the Biozentrum.
At the end of the interview week, you will be informed about who will receive fellowship offers. We expect your acceptance or declination of the fellowship by September, or March respectively. You can then start your Ph.D. in the following six months.
The committee is made up of one representative from each Focal Area.
- Prof. Christoph Handschin (Head of Program) Growth & Development
- Prof. Marek Basler, Infection Biology
- Prof. Fiona Doetsch, Neurobiology
- Prof. Timm Maier, Structural Biology & Biophysics
- Prof. Erik van Nimwegen, Computational & Systems Biology
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.