Call for Applications for a
‘PG Diploma in Big Data Biology’
(In collaboration with IIIT, Bangalore)
(Funded by the Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India)
Recent advances in diverse areas of life sciences such as high-throughput genomics, computational neuroscience, biopharma, medical and cellular imaging have led to the generation of massive data. This poses a huge challenge to researchers to handle such large datasets, analyze and interpret them. The advent of big data has impacted personalized medicine and health care services significantly. Efficient computing platforms and tools, sophisticated measurement technologies, Cloud Computing and Artificial Intelligence have transformed life sciences and healthcare, enabling unprecedented interpretation of data and novel outcomes.
Realising the need for data scientists and data engineers to handle the challenges in biological and medical data, the Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB) is pleased to announce the launch of an innovative one – year PG Diploma Programme in ‘Big Data Biology’ in collaboration with the International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT-B), Bangalore and funded by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.
This interdisciplinary programme will focus on Big Data in Life Sciences and will help explore the opportunities and challenges of handling big data in healthcare and imaging and will impart engineering approaches to problem-solving in this emerging area.
Unique Features of the Programme
- Interdisciplinary programme with courses that strengthen the computational, statistical and engineering components required to analyze large-scale data in life sciences
- Courses handled by faculty from IBAB and IIIT-Bangalore and industry experts Integrated learning experience involving coursework and industry and research-oriented project work
- Comprehensive curriculum comprising diverse areas in Data Science with applications in Life Sciences, including the development of machine learning algorithms, genomics, imaging and image processing and clinical data analysis
- Extensive interaction with industry including mentoring and selected teaching by subject matter experts from industry
- 100% track record of placements of the two institutes and their established industry network
- Curriculum with a blend of computing and life sciences that will open opportunities in diverse areas including healthcare data science, genomics and clinical trials
- Indian Nationals with B.E. / B.Tech. degree in Biotechnology / Biomedical Technology / Bioinformatics / Computer Science and Engineering / Electronics and Communication Engineering / Electrical and Electronics Engineering / Information Technology or equivalent degree or M.Sc. degree in Biotechnology / Bioinformatics / Biochemistry / Computer Science / Information Technology / Statistics or equivalent degree with a minimum of 60% in the qualifying examination
Students selected for the programme may be eligible to receive a scholarship of Rs 10,000/- per month from the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India**
Applications to the programme can be submitted online at https://ibab.azurewebsites.net
Duration of the course: One Year
National level online entrance examination at select centres across the country
Number of seats: 25
Reservation for SC/ST/Physically Challenged candidates will be based on the norms of MHRD, Govt. of India
Deadline for Application: 2nd October 2018
Date of entrance examination: 28th October 2018
Commencement of the course: 7th January 2019
Office of Admissions
Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB)
Biotech Park, Electronics City Phase I, Bangalore-560100
Phone: 080-2852 8900/01/02
The Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB) is a unique institute engaged in education, research and
entrepreneur support programs and is based at Electronic City, Bengaluru. The Institute an initiative of Department of IT, BT and S & T, Government of Karnataka is situated in a 20-acre campus in Electronic City, Bangalore with excellent infrastructure, students’ hostel and other amenities. IBAB offers a distinctive Masters Degree program with a dual specialization in Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology and an interdisciplinary Ph.D. programme.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.