Industrial Biotechnology Certificate Course
About The Course
The Industrial Biotechnology online course aims to provide fundamental insights to exploit enzymes and microbes for the manufacturing of products which have a huge industrial significance. It uniquely blends the science and engineering with various biochemical processes to obtain products of diverse fields such as chemicals, food, bioenergy etc.
- The course introduces bioreactors, its types, operation methods and provides an experimental demonstration of the same. Strategies to obtain higher yields, design of the reactors and production of biofuels from microbes are thoroughly explained.
- Students of various disciplines such as biotechnology, chemical engineering, food engineering, and pharmaceutical industries can be benefitted from the course as it discusses the existing bioprocess applications such as wine and cheese making, antibiotics and vaccines etc.
- The course majorly focusses on the applications and allows students to gain practical knowledge rather than mere theory. Major bottlenecks for the operation of biochemical industries will be discussed.
Important For Certification/Credit Transfer:
Weekly Assignments and Discussion Forum can be accessed ONLY by enrolling here
Note: Content is Free!
All content including discussion forum and assignments is free
Final Exam (in-person, invigilated, currently conducted in India) is mandatory for Certification and has INR Rs. 1100 as exam fee
- Chemical Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Food Technology
- Environmental Engineering
- Applied Microbiology
- Knowledge in microbiology
- Biochemistry and mathematics in 10+2 level
Industry Support – List of Companies/Industry That Will Recognize/Value This Online Course
- DuPont India
- IFB Agra Industry
- IOC; ONGC
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
- United Beverages.
Week 1: Introduction, Microbes and enzymes of industrial importance
Week 2: Different types of bioreactors and bioreactor design
Week 3: Microbial growth, substrate degradation and product formation kinetics, Tutorial 1
Week 4: Instrumentation, Sterilization of air, media and reactor
Week 5: Upstream and Downstream processing
Week 6: Production of Oxychemicals I
Week 7: Production of Oxychemicals II
Week 8: Production of Oxychemicals III
Week 9: High fructose corn syrup, Cheese making, and Single cell production
Week 10: Vaccines production and Metal leaching
Week 11: Bioenergy- Gaseous fuels: Biohydrogen, Biomethane and Microbial fuel cell; Liquid fuels: Bioethanol, Biodiesel and Biobutanol
Week 12: Aerobic and Anaerobic wastewater treatment processes
- Industrial Microbiology by Samuel Cate Prescott and Cecil Gordon Dunn
- Biochemical Engineering Fundamentals by Bailey and Ollis
- Bioprocess Engineering Principles by Doran
- Bioprocess Engineering Basic Concepts by Shular and Kargi
- Biochemical Engineering by Blanch and Clark
- Biochemical Engineering by Aiba, Humphrey and Millis
- A textbook of Industrial Microbiology by Wulf Crueger and Anneliese Cruegen
Certification Exam :
- The exam is optional for a fee.
- Date of Exams: October 28 (Sunday)
- Time of Exams: Morning session 9am to 12 noon; Afternoon session: 2pm to 5pm
- Exam for this course will be available in both morning & afternoon sessions.
- Registration URL: Announcements will be made when the registration form is open for registrations.
- The online registration form has to be filled and the certification exam fee needs to be paid. More details will be made available when the exam registration form is published.
- The final score will be calculated as : 25% assignment score + 75% final exam score
- 25% assignment score is calculated as 25% of average of Best 8 out of 12 assignments
- E-Certificate will be given to those who register and write the exam and score greater than or equal to 40% final score. The certificate will have your name, photograph and the score in the final exam with the breakup. It will have the logos of NPTEL and IIT Kharagpur.It will be e-verifiable at nptel.ac.in/noc.
Course Instructor: Dr. Debabrata Das
He pursued his doctoral studies from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi. He is a Senior Professor at IIT Kharagpur. He was also associated as MNRE Renewable Energy Chair Professor. He has pioneered the promising R&D of Bioenergy production processes by applying fermentation technology. Prof. Das is involved in three different area of research: Gaseous energy recovery from organic wastes; algal biorefinery and CO2 sequestration; and microbial fuel cell. He is presently involved in teaching both undergraduate and post-graduate courses on Biochemical Reaction Engineering; Aspects of Biochemical Engineering; Bioprocess Plant and Equipment Design; and Bioprocess Technology for the students of Department of Biotechnology; Department of Chemical Engineering; Department of Chemistry and School Energy Science and Engineering. He has been teaching for the last 29 years. He was associated as a Biochemical Engineer in M/s. Citurgia Biochemicals Ltd., Surat and involved in citric acid production through fermentation process. Presently, he has the Google h-index of 43 for his research work. He has about 137 research publications in the peer reviewed journals and contributed more than 30 chapters in the books published by International publishers. He is the author of the books: “Biohydrogen Production: Fundamentals and Technology Advances” published by M/s. CRC Press, New York and “Biohythane: Fuel for the future” published by Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore. He is the Editor of the book entitled “Algal Biorefinery: An Integrated Approach” published separately by Springer, Switzerland and Capital Publishing Company, India. Another book entitled “A bioelectrochemical system that convert wastes to Watts” is with the publisher. He has two Indian patents. Presently, he is involved with 10 m3 pilot plant study for the commercial exploitation of biohydrogen production process. He was awarded IAHE Akira Mitsue award 2008 and BRSI Malaviya Memorial award 2013 for his contribution in hydrogen research. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Biomass and Bioenergy. He is the member of the editorial board of several International Journals. He is the Fellow of International Association for Hydrogen Energy (IAHE), Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE); Biotechnology Research Society of India (BRSI); West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (WAScT); and Institution of Engineers (IE).
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.