The Department of Biotechnology is looking for a full-time Ph.D. candidate (4-year contract) to focus on the nematode-tomato interaction.
|Last application date||Jul 02, 2018 15:20|
|Department||LA25 – Department of Biotechnology|
|Degree||Master in Bioscience Engineering, Cell & Gene biotechnology, Master in Biochemistry & Biotechnology, Master in Plant Science, or equivalent|
|Vacancy Type||Research staff|
In a joint project between the department Biotechnology of Ghent University at the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering (Prof. Godelieve Gheysen) and the Department of Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics of the Faculty of Sciences (also VIB-department Plant Systems Biology), research is performed to understand protein-protein interactions in tomato roots in relation to interacting pathogens and beneficial micro-organisms.
The Department of Biotechnology is looking for a full-time Ph.D. candidate (4-year contract) in the frame of this project to focus on the nematode-tomato interaction.
- Your task is to identify tomato proteins that interact with effector proteins from root-knot nematodes by yeast-2-hybrid and other techniques.
- Other researchers in the project will perform similar analyses for mycorrhizae and Agrobacterium rhizogenes.
- The identified tomato genes will then be functionally characterized by overexpression and gene editing (CRISPR-Cas) in tomato.
- You will participate in the analysis of the resulting mutants/transgenic lines by biochemical, molecular and phenotypic approaches to check if they have an altered response to nematode infection.
- Besides the experimental work, you will also follow up the scientific literature, write scientific papers and participate in (inter)national scientific conferences.
Profile of the candidate
- To execute this GOA project we are looking for a candidate with a general interest in plant-pathogen interactions, molecular biology and interactomics with a critical and scientific mind and a capacity for independent work.
- Students that graduate in July 2018 can also apply for this position.
- We offer a multidisciplinary and challenging project in a pleasant international research environment.
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, mail your:
- CV (including study results, thesis research topic and contact information of possible referee persons) with
- a motivation letter
at the latest on July 2nd to Godelieve.Gheysen@UGent.be.
Interviews are planned between 4 and 14 July and if necessary 13-17 August 2018.