ADMISSION TO Ph.D. PROGRAM
Director, Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), invites exceptionally motivated candidates for pursuing doctoral research at IMTECH under the aegis of the Ph.D. degree program being jointly run by IMTECH and the Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research (AcSIR), New Delhi. The candidates who have passed an M.Sc. examination with minimum 55% marks in aggregate (50% marks in case of SC/ST/Differently-abled candidates) and cleared any of the following examinations with valid fellowship are eligible to apply:
- CSIR-UGC NET (NET-LS not eligible)
- DBT-JRF examination (‘A’ Category only)
- DST INSPIRE Fellowship
- ICMR-JRF examination (those selected for working only in ICMR Projects are not eligible).
IMTECH is a multidisciplinary institute with excellent research facilities, state of the art computational and library facilities, and faculty with interests in many different areas of modern biology and biotechnology (please visit our website http://www.imtech.res.in for information on different areas and faculty activities). The major thrust areas of the institute are Antibiotic drug discovery, Virology, Microbiome, and Bio-therapeutics. During this intake, openings may be available in the areas which involve following:
- Molecular Biology: Molecular biology of pathogens, gene silencing, stress tolerance, signal transduction, gene expression, genome-wide analysis
- Cell Biology & Immunology: Host-pathogen interactions, protein trafficking, molecular immunology, metabolic disease
- Protein Science & Engineering: Structure-function relationships, Protein-design, folding, engineering, stability, expression, structure determination of proteins and structure-based drug designing etc.
- Applied & Environmental Microbiology: Microbial diversity and their metabolites, environmental biotechnology, extremophiles
- Bioinformatics: Computer-aided drug development, genome annotations, protein structure prediction, molecular simulations, data analytics, system biology
- Medicinal Chemistry: Design and synthesis of small molecules and analogs, natural products synthesis and their designed analogs, natural product discovery, discovery of new synthetic strategies and technologies
- Biochemical Engineering: Fermentation & downstream processing, process development and optimization, scale up
- Animal Biotechnology: In-vivo studies.
Candidates with Master’s Degree with minimum 55% marks in aggregate (50% marks in case of SC/ST/Differently-abled candidates) or equivalent in any branch of science (Physics, Chemistry, Life Sciences, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Biotechnology, Pharmacy) or in chemical/biochemical engineering who have valid research fellowship after passing CSIR/UGC NET or DBT JRF examination (‘A’ Category) or DST INSPIRE Fellowship or ICMR JRF examination are eligible to apply.
Please note that valid proofs of having passed the masters’ level (or those awaiting for their final results) and fellowship examinations (with valid fellowship) are mandatory for being eligible to be interviewed.
Those coming for interview must be prepared to be present in Chandigarh for three days, which is the approximate time required to finalize the admission.
No TA/DA or any other expenses will be paid for appearing in the interview. Candidates must also state their present occupation, if any, before the interview; any concealment may result in cancellation of admission at any stage.
How to apply:
The application should be submitted through online at http://acsir.res.in. The last date for submitting the application is 24th May 2018.
The shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview at IMTECH, Chandigarh. There will be two rounds of interviews. The first round will be aimed at assessing the candidate’s ability for comprehension, critical analysis, logical reasoning and aptitude for scientific research. Shortlisted candidates in the first round of interview will appear for the second round of interview. In the second interview, the candidates should be ready to make a short 10-minute presentation based on their research interest. The research presentation should contain the following information (i) Title (ii) Introduction of the problem (iii) Lack of existing knowledge (iv) Proposed strategies to solve the problem. The result of the selected candidates will be declared on the AcSIR website. The fees for the Ph.D. program is as per AcSIR fee structure. Currently, per semester fee is Rs. 6,000/- and thesis submission fees is Rs. 5,000/-.
Separate hostel accommodation for boys and girls in the campus may be provided to the admitted candidates on request and as per availability.
Kindly note that those candidates who are waiting for M.Sc. results may also appear for an interview but their joining is subject to clearing all the eligibility criteria.
Any questions pertaining to admission may be enquired at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.