Scientific Officer-ISD Program Position
ICRISAT invites applications from dynamic nationals for the position a Scientific Officer – ISD Program. This position is based at ICRISAT’s Headquarters, Hyderabad India.
Job Title: Scientific Officer – ISD Program
- Coordination of picture collection and image database development
- Coordinate the extension of picture database on agronomic stresses and crops that can be found in South India (mainly Telangana & Andhra Pradesh)
- Hiring and training of field staff (picture collectors)
- Monitor activities of field staff and provide reports on regular basis to the Scientist
- Picture database maintenance by using a web-based tool (Web App)
- Identification of important plant diseases, pests and nutrient deficiencies as well as crop stages
Training and capacity building
- Participation and conduct training programs with the Scientist to educate farmers, picture collectors, and other stakeholders in the handling of the different Plantix versions.
- Maintenance of training records and follow up as per requirement and guidance of the Scientist
Plantix App improvement and dissemination.
- Support and user field testing and the conduct user surveys
- Collect and process relevant agricultural information to enhance the usability of new features
- Establish a network of agricultural experts and consultants to receive feedback on the Plantix App and communication
- Organize and implement regular user testing with farmers – results should be processed and transferred to the headquarter
- Dissemination of Plantix in India due to activities like presentations of Plantix to third parties and coordination of meetings with different stakeholders, e.g. agricultural institutions, research centers, government officials, public and private companies, NGOs, farmer groups, etc.
Follow up of core activities
- Should be active in taking forward all the activities taken up as a part of work delegated by the Scientist which may be dynamic in nature with smaller turn-around times
- Provide regular feedback on progress of activities and perform activity management across other partner projects
Any other activity that evolves during the course of the project including project management, coordination and documentation needs
- Master’s degree in Plant protection like Entomology/ Pathology/ Microbiology and related subjects
- Good written and oral communications skills in English and Telugu
- Willingness and aptitude to quickly learn and use new technologies
- Prior experience in agriculture or allied sectors and working directly with farmers and farmer groups (above 2 years)
- Candidate should be tech savvy and should not be reluctant in handling of new tools like mobile phone applications and web-based apps
- Should be fluent in Telugu and English (written and spoken) with excellent communication skills
- A proactive and independent approach to work with good experience in multi-stakeholder project coordination.
- Experience in organizing capacity building programs especially digitization related in Agriculture
- Hands on experience of on-farm farmer participatory action research trials
- Expertise in MS word, power points, excel, Share Point is desirable
- Knowledge on how the application of Digital Agriculture may enhance productivity, logistics or market access for smallholder farmers and value chain actors.
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position for two years renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to Apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 28 February 2018, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline – on or before 28/02/2018