The Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships aim to support students from India to pursue doctoral studies at St John’s College, Cambridge.
Under this initiative, a number of scholarships will be made available for September/October 2018.
It is expected that the students will go on to become leading achievers and opinion-formers within Indian Society, and applicants should be able to demonstrate leadership potential accordingly. All candidates must first apply for doctoral studies at the University of Cambridge, selecting St John’s College as their first choice.
Applicants should be able to meet the following criteria:
- An Indian national with a valid Indian passport, currently based in India
- Below 35 years of age on 31 December 2017
- No previous significant exposure to a UK education, or receipt of UK government funding
- Hold a Master’s (postgraduate) degree from a reputed Indian university/institution with a First Class award in the relevant subject or field by October 2018
- Intend to pursue a full-time Doctoral research degree from the University of Cambridge, commencing by September/October 2018, which they have already identified
- Able to display evidence of leadership qualities – for example, from extracurricular activities, contribution to the country or society in their chosen field
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Able to fulfill any other admission criteria laid down by the University
Value of award
The scholarships cover:
- Academic Fees
- International airfare
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses
- UK Visa
Applicants must apply for their chosen Doctoral programme at the University of Cambridge, to commence by September/October 2018. Candidates should consult the full application guidelines below, and apply for the scholarship via the online application form below by 15 January 2018.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to identify a suitable Doctoral programme and supervisor at the University of Cambridge, apply for a place for September/October 2018 and secure admission.
- Identify a suitable doctoral programme and supervisor at the University of Cambridge
- Applicants to visit the University of Cambridge Graduate Admissions Office web site: www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk and make formal application to the University.
- Applicants to select St John’s College as their first choice College on their application form.
- Applicants to indicate on their Graduate Application Form via the Applicant Portal that they are applying for the Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships if asked (this is not mandatory), but also to complete the section applying for funding from the University.
- Applicants to complete the online College Application form for the Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships Competition via the College website to notify St John’s that they have applied to the University and wish to be considered for the Scholarship. This form must be returned to St John’s by 15 January 2018.
Candidates for these scholarships are selected through a process of shortlisting from the applications received, followed by personal interviews, which will be conducted by Skype.
Subsequent to the interviews the selection committee identifies the required number of candidates for the awards. The decision of the selection committee will be final.
Selection results will be communicated within a month following the interview.
Pre-departure briefings, UK visa and travel arrangements for the selected candidates will
be coordinated by St John’s College.