PhD Fellowship in Bioinformatics
Center for non-coding RNA in Technology and Health (RTH) (http://rth.dk) at Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at University of Copenhagen is offering a Ph.D. fellowship in Bioinformatics starting 1 September 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is limited to three years.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to join our team. You will be a hard-working team player and a key person in the group and project essential for obtaining successful results. The Ph.D. position is part of the Stem Cell Center of Excellence in Neurology, BrainStem (http://brainstem.dk) and the Ph.D. student will be interacting closely with the Group for Stem Cells and Embryology. The brainstem is supported by the Innovation Fund Denmark.
Information about the department can be found at http://ivh.ku.dk/english/.
Within BrainStem patient-specific neurons are derived from induced pluripotent stem cells obtained from skin fibroblasts to study Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases with the long term aims of patient specific treatment and drug development. The studies will take outset in neurodegeneration caused by specific mutations and the disease processes will be addressed at the molecular level by both experimental and computational approaches. See more at http://brainstem.dk.
General job description
Your key tasks as a Ph.D. fellow at Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences (SUND) are to:
- Manage, carry through and conclude your research projects
- Actively participate in Ph.D. courses
- Write scientific articles and finalize your Ph.D. thesis
- Participate in international congresses
- Conduct a research stay at an institution abroad
- Teach and disseminate your research
Specific job description
The project involves analysis of transcriptomic data with regard to detection of differentially expressed genes and differential processing profiles. Benchmarked pipelines and novel computational methods will be developed for analyses as well. These methods will take other types of cellular data obtained from the stem cell-derived neurons into account. A focus area will be noncoding and structured RNA and the developed methods and analyses will also involve coping with these. Other data generated within BrainStem will be incorporated in the pipeline settings and interactions with experimental groups with regard to mechanistic studies for RNA function will be carried out as well.
The applicant should hold professional as well as personal skills and qualifications as stated below:
- A completed master degree in bioinformatics, computer science or in a similar area
- General background knowledge of biological areas of genome structure and transcriptomes
- Algorithmic insight
- Solid experience with transcriptome analysis including RNA-Seq analysis
- Strong experience with script languages such as Perl or Python (or similar)
- Strong experience with the Linux/Unix environment, command lines and shell scripting
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent in English both in writing and speech
Candidates fulfilling one or more of the following qualifications will be prioritized:
- Strong experience in at least one of the following programming languages: C, C++ or Java
- Experience with transcriptomic data from neurodegenerative diseases
- Experience with RNA folding analysis
- Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- The grade point average achieved in relevant University degrees
- Professional qualifications relevant to the Ph.D. programme
- Previous publications (if any)
- Relevant work experience
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
The position is available for a 3-year period for applicants holding a relevant master´s degree.
Employment as a Ph.D. fellow will be conditional on successful enrollment in the Ph.D. programme according to the rules stipulated in “Bekendtgørelse nr. 18 af 14. januar 2008 om ph.d.-graden.“
Terms of employment
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organizations. Depending on seniority, the monthly salary begins around 25.579 DKK (approx. EUR 3.434) plus pension. The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities (2013).
Place of employment
RTH is mainly located on the Frederiksberg Campus, however as part of the Brainstem project research stays with project partners will be a part of the Ph.D. Our research environment is highly international and stimulating. We frequently organize seminars, workshops, Ph.D. summer schools with international speakers and have retreats with our international collaborators.
The application must be submitted in English, by clicking on “Apply Online” below, and must include the following:
- Cover letter detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific Ph.D. project
- Diploma and detailed transcripts of records
- Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), peer reviewed and other
- Personal recommendations (if any)
- A maximum of 3 relevant scientific works which the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment (if any)
The deadline for applications is 13 August 2017. Any applications received after this time or incomplete will not be considered.