IIT JAM (INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY JOIN ADMISSION TEST)-2018 for Biological Sciences and Biotechnology
It is an entrance exam for various professional courses such as M.Sc (2 years), M.Sc-PhD, M.Sc-M.Tech, Joint M.Sc-PhD, and many other Bachelor degree courses. Various IITs & IISc conduct this national level examination of JAM in the rotation. JAM is held in the month of February every year. IIT JAM 2018 will be organized by IIT Bombay. The interested applicants for Biological Sciences and Biotechnology can check out the important details of JAM 2018 from this article given below and the official website of this exam is www.jam.iit.ac.in.
- Both Indian and Foreign Candidates can apply.
- No age restriction.
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Candidates belonging to the General/OBC-NCL Category, have to get at least 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying degree, without rounding off (50% aggregate for candidates who belong to the SC/ST and PwD Category Candidates).
- Candidates appearing in the final examination of their qualifying degree in 2018 are also eligible for this entrance exam.
- For M.Sc. – Candidate must have Bachelor’s degree (Geology) and any two subjects among Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biological Science Physics. Also, the candidate must have passed 12th with Math as a mandatory subject.
- For M.Sc. Biotechnology in IITB and IITR – Candidates must have done graduation degree in any of these (Science, Agriculture, Pharmacy, Veterinary, Engineering, and Medicine) branches.
|Online registration will starts from||1st week of September 2017|
|Application form will be available from||1st week of September 2017|
|Closing of generation of E-challan||2nd week of October 2017|
|Closing of payment in SBI branches using E-challan||2nd week of October 2017|
|Closing of Registration on JOAPS||2nd week of October 2017|
|Closing of online application submission & documents uploading||2nd week of October 2017|
|Closing date for change in examination city||Last week of October 2017|
|Downloading of admit cards||Last week of December|
|Examination date for JAM 2018||11 February 2018(EXPECTED)|
|Results declaration||last week of March 2018|
|Submission of application form for admission||2nd week of April 2018 to last week of April 2018|
|Closing date for receipt for change in category||2nd week of May 2018|
|Declaration of 1st admission list||1st week of June 2018|
|Declaration of 2nd admission list||3rd week of June 2018|
|Declaration of final admission list||1st week of July 2018|
TIME DURATION: For Biological Sciences- 9.00 am to 12.00 pm
For Biotechnology- 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm
For Biological Sciences:
General Biology: Taxonomy of plants and animals; pro-and eukaryotic organisms; cell organelles and their function; multicellular organization; general physiology; energy transformations; internal transport systems of plants and animals; photosynthesis; respiration; regulation of body fluids and excretory mechanisms; reproductive biology; plant and animal hormones and their action; nervous systems; animal behavior; plant and animal diseases; Mendelian genetics and heredity; basics of developmental biology; biology of populations and communities; evolution; basic principles of ecology; genesis and diversity of organisms.
Basics of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biophysics: Buffers; trace elements in biological systems; enzymes and proteins; vitamins; biological oxidations, photosynthesis; carbohydrates and lipids and their metabolism; digestion and absorption; detoxifying mechanisms; nucleic acids; nucleic acid metabolism; nature of gene and its function; genetic code; synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins; regulation of gene expression; operons. Structure of biomolecules; intra and intermolecular forces; thermodynamics and kinetics of biological systems; enzyme mechanisms and kinetics; principles of X-ray diffraction; IR- and UV- spectroscopy; analytical and biochemical techniques
Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology: Classification of microorganisms and their characterization; nutrient requirement for growth; laboratory techniques in microbiology; pathogenic microorganisms and disease; applied microbiology; viruses and fungi; microbial genetics; cell theory; cell architecture; cell division; types of chromosome structure; biochemical genetics- inborn errors of metabolisms; innate and adaptive immunity, antigen antibodies; principles of processes of development.
Mathematical Sciences: Mathematical functions (algebraic, exponential, trigonometric) and their derivatives (derivatives and integrals of simple functions); permutations and combinations; basic probability and volumetric calculations.
The Biotechnology (BT) test paper comprises of Biology (44% weightage), Chemistry (20% weightage), Mathematics (18% weightage) and Physics (18% weightage).
BIOLOGY (10+2+3 level)
General Biology: Taxonomy; Heredity; Genetic variation; Conservation; Principles of ecology; Evolution; Techniques in modern biology. Biochemistry and Physiology: Carbohydrates; Proteins; Lipids; Nucleic acids; Enzymes; Vitamins; Hormones; Metabolism – Glycolysis, TCA cycle, Oxidative Phosphorylation; Photosynthesis.Nitrogen Fixation, Fertilization, and Osmoregulation; Vertebrates-Nervous system; Endocrine system; Vascular system; Immune system; Digestive system and Reproductive System.
Basic Biotechnology: Tissue culture; Application of enzymes; Antigen-antibody interaction; Antibody production; Diagnostic aids.
Molecular Biology: DNA; RNA; Replication; Transcription; Translation; Proteins; Lipids and Membranes; Operon model; Gene transfer.
Cell Biology: Cell cycle; Cytoskeletal elements; Mitochondria; Endoplasmic reticulum; Chloroplast; Golgi apparatus; Signaling.
Microbiology: Isolation; Cultivation; Structural features of virus; Bacteria; Fungi; Protozoa; Pathogenic micro-organizms.
CHEMISTRY (10+2+3 level)
Atomic Structure: Bohr’s theory and Schrodinger wave equation; Periodicity in properties; Chemical bonding; Properties of s, p, d and f block elements; Complex formation; Coordination compounds; Chemical equilibria; Chemical thermodynamics (first and second law); Chemical kinetics (zero, first, second and third order reactions); Photochemistry; Electrochemistry; Acid-base concepts; Stereochemistry of carbon compounds; Inductive, electromeric, conjugative effects and resonance;
Chemistry of Functional Groups: Hydrocarbons, alkyl halides, alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, amines and their derivatives; Aromatic hydrocarbons, halides, nitro and amino compounds, phenols, diazonium salts, carboxylic and sulphonic acids; Mechanism of organic reactions; Soaps and detergents; Synthetic polymers; Biomolecules – amino acids, proteins, nucleic acids, lipids and carbohydrates (polysaccharides); Instrumental techniques – chromatography (TLC, HPLC), electrophoresis, UV-Vis, IR and NMR spectroscopy, mass spectrometry.
MATHEMATICS (10+2 level)
Sets, Relations and Functions, Mathematical Induction, Logarithms, Complex numbers, Linear and Quadratic equations, Sequences and Series, Trigonometry, Cartesian System of Rectangular Coordinates, Straight lines and Family, Circles, Conic Sections, Permutations and Combinations, Binomial Theorem, Exponential and Logarithmic Series, Mathematical Logic, Statistics, Three Dimensional Geometry, Vectors, Matrices and Determinants, Boolean Algebra, Probability, Functions, limits and Continuity, Differentiation, Application of Derivatives, Definite and Indefinite Integrals, Differential Equations.
PHYSICS (10+2 level) Physical World and Measurement, Elementary Statics and Dynamics, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Electrostatics, Current electricity, Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism, Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current, Electromagnetic waves, Optics, Dual Nature of Matter and Radiations, Atomic Nucleus, Solids and Semiconductor Devices, Principles of Communication, Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body, Gravitation, Mechanics of Solids and Fluids, Heat and Thermodynamics, Oscillations, Waves.
- The interested and eligible applicants have to apply only online for JAM 2018 from the official website.
- The applicants are advised to go through eligibility criteria before they start application procedure.
- The applicants should be ready with scanned photograph and signature of specified format.
- There is no other mode of application except online mode.
The applicants have to pay an application fee to complete the application procedure either through online mode or offline (E-challan) mode via SBI. In online mode, the application fee can be paid through net banking, debit/credit card. The application fee once paid is non-refundable. The application fee for different categories is as follows-
|One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|SC/ST/PwD & Female (all categories)||Rs.750/-||Rs.1050/-|
- Examination Type: Objective type test
- Number of questions: 60 divided in three section viz. A, B, C
- Time Duration: 3 hours
- Marking Scheme: 60 questions carrying 100 marks
- Mode: Computer Based Test
- Negative Marking: There will be no negative marking in Section B and Section C.
|Section-A||30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)|
|Section-B||10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)|
|Section-C||20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT)|
- IIT Guwahati– Asansol-Durgapur, Siliguri, Jorhat, Dhanbad, Guwahati, Kalyani, Patna
- IISc Bangalore– Bengaluru, Kozhikode, Lakshadweep, Palakkad, Hubli, Kollam, Kottayam, Thrissur, Mangalore
- IIT Kharagpur– Bhubaneswar, Ranchi, Visakhapatnam, Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Vijayawada
- IIT Delhi– Delhi-NCR, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Jammu, Jodhpur, Faridabad, New Delhi, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur
- IIT Kanpur– Agra, Bareilly, Varanasi, Allahabad, Bhopal, Kanpur, Lucknow
- IIT Roorkee– Dehradun, Mohali-Fatehgarh Sahib-Rupnagar, Moradabad, Jalandhar-Phagwara, Kurukshetra, Noida, Roorkee-Muzaffarnagar
- IIT Madras– Chennai, Thiruvananthapuram, Tirunelveli, Warangal, Coimbatore, Ernakulam, Madurai, Tiruchirapalli
- IIT Bombay– Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Nanded, Nasik, Goa, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune, Vadodara
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.