About the Newton-Bhabha PhD placement programme
On behalf of the Ministry of Science and Technology, India and the Department for Business Energy & Industrial Strategy, UK, the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), the Department of Science and Technology (DST), India and British Council- India, and are pleased to invite applications for funding to support short-term PhD placements between Indian and UK institutions under Newton-Bhabha PhD placement programme
It is the fourth consecutive year Newton Fund India in partnership with DST and DBT is offering opportunity for the UK and Indian PhD scholars to spend a period of their study (2 to 4 months) in Indian and UK higher education institutions taking place between March to December 2018.
Deadline for receipt of applications: Monday, 21st August 2017 by 16.00 hrs UK time.
Selection results announced by mid-November 2017
Placements to take place between March to December 2018
The program is envisaged to:
- Develop individual capacity through international training and development opportunities.
- Increase the number of highly trained researchers in the UK and India with international experience, able to contribute to the absorptive capacity for research and innovation and thus bring about economic and social benefits.
- Build cultural understanding, and foster long-term sustainable research collaborations.
- Develop international joint training pathways.
- Increase awareness of the research strengths of the UK and India
In India, The scheme is open only for Indian scholars enrolled at Indian higher education institution with following criteria:
1. INSPIRE PhD Senior Research Fellows (SRFs) of Batch 2014 are eligible to apply for a STEM and Life Sciences subject.
2. PhD Scholar (other than INSPIRE Fellows) who have qualified through national level test and are pursuing PhD in mid second or third year of Life sciences are eligible to apply. These scholars will be funded by DBT.
In UK, The scheme is open only for UK scholars pursuing their PhD at a UK higher
education institution. (Please see list of eligible institutions under downloads section)
Please refer to call guidelines for full details of eligibility criteria.
- Visa fee, Economy class international airfares and overseas medical insurance incurred by
- In-country costs including accommodation and stipend for PhD scholars
The application should be submitted by PhD scholar with endorsement from both the sending
and receiving Head of Department and supervisors with the latter’s confirmation that they
will host the PhD scholars; duration of the stay and level of bench fees if they charge (bench
fees is applicable only for UK host Universities)
UK applicants apply here
Indian applicants apply here
For DBT – India
Dr. Sanjay Kalia
Email ID – firstname.lastname@example.org
For DST – India
Dr S Mallikarjun Babu
Email ID – email@example.com
For British Council India